Changing substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Changing substrate

Okay so my girlfriend was given a tank, which has large gravel rock substrate. Neither one of us really like it as the waste gets trapped in the substrate easily. I was thinking of switching it out for some black fine grade plant substrate. Would this be possible or a bit difficult? All we have in there now are 2 tetras and a pleco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

No problem at all - won't take long.
Catch & place your 2 tetras & pleco temporarily into a bucket filled with some water siphoned from your tank.
Remove your gravel substrate - clean up your tank a bit - siphon out some more of the no doubt cruddy water.
Put your new substrate in place as you wish it. Partially refill with conditioned tap water- re-start your filter, and put your fish back into the tank, with some of the bucket water if need be. Done.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
No problem at all - won't take long.
Catch & place your 2 tetras & pleco temporarily into a bucket filled with some water siphoned from your tank.
Remove your gravel substrate - clean up your tank a bit - siphon out some more of the no doubt cruddy water.
Put your new substrate in place as you wish it. Partially refill with conditioned tap water- re-start your filter, and put your fish back into the tank, with some of the bucket water if need be. Done.
Great, thanks! Any recommendations for substrate? I hear Eco-Complete makes a great product

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Go for it !
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I always took my time and did this in sections. The reson being that gravel has good bacteria to it and you will be removing all of it at once instead of slowly. I would go with eco complete or black flourite. The flourite is my preference but its your decision. Good luck. Let us know how it goes
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meppitech View Post
I always took my time and did this in sections. The reson being that gravel has good bacteria to it and you will be removing all of it at once instead of slowly. I would go with eco complete or black flourite. The flourite is my preference but its your decision. Good luck. Let us know how it goes
Hm, that sounds like an interesting approach. As in going left to right took you're time, not in the deepness of the bed right? Because if thats the case you'd have to put the new sand on top of old gravel which would make it more difficult to remove
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
I used one of those big plastic totes when I did this on my 29. Hung my filter on the side and the fish just thought it was a dark tank. Then I was able to take my time on the rescape and most of the water that went back in was my water. Worked great for everyone involved.

Sunsun Pimp Club Member #068

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode