Soilmaster Proven Over Time? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (80/100%)
Soilmaster Proven Over Time?

I wondered if any of the longer term users of Soilmaster could comment on how things are going? Based on the history of the posts that use of Soilmaster is a rather new adventure. I'm wondering if any of the more "experienced" users can comment on how it's holding up, if there are any regrets, , any signs of "wearing out," etc.

Also, one of the photo threads showed using peat and mulm with Soilmaster. Obviously more mulm will be added over time but if I'm not mistaken the peat will be used up. In the experience of the users, can I do without the peat and just use Soilmaster with some mulm and still expect to do OK?

I really appreciate your input!

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to turbomkt Send a message via MSN to turbomkt Send a message via Yahoo to turbomkt
Tom,
The mulm is to kickstart bacteria growth. The peat is to provide some organics in the substrate. Do you need it? Nope. Is it expensive? Not at all. A single small bag will last you a reallllly long time.

Also, I don't know that those of us using Soilmaster have had it long enough to really provide reliable long term feedback. But for now I have CRS and diamond bees that are pregnant in a Soilmaster Select Red tank...

--Mike
Eheim Pimp #41

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've been wondering the same thing as a lot of people are clamoring for the stuff but don't know how it's going to do long-term, and long-term viability seems to be such a concern for many (not all, though). I guess because the stuff is fairly cheap, it doesn't matter as much.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
The product is so new as it has hit the hobby very recently. I believe the first I remember hearing of it was in January, so there are a very few (if any) long term users.

While there hasn't been quite enough time to truly evaluate the product, I am certain some of it's users will chime in and give you report on the product up to this point.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
No, it's been proven well over 10 years now.

MPV Turface has been in use this long and this is the same material.
Just different packaging/label...........

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Soilmaster is Turface? HA! I had thought there was a correlation, but wasn't certain.

The stuff is pretty light weight, isn't it?

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I've used SM Charcoal since November of last year, with no gripes. Planting stem plants can be a bit harder than planting in quartz sand, but, other than that I couldn't be happier with it.

Hoppy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 05:45 AM

PTrader: (27/100%)
Great Stuff, roots just grab on to the stuff, the only disapointment is that the Red are for sale almost everywhere, while charcoal is harder to find and usually have to be order online.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (80/100%)
I'm In!

Well, you can add me to the users of the stuff. I called the local Lesco Friday about a bag of the charcoal colored version and they were more than happy to order it in. Said it should arrive in about a week. I'm sure the fish and plants will be so excited about the pending move...................
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:19 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have been using the SM charcoal, and my only gripe is the weight. It seems lighter than the Turface/Schultz's/Profile I have used before. In the 10 gallon I have to be very careful about where I point filters and be careful not to move my hands too quickly in the tank the current tears everything up quickly. I had to take the AC filter off because it tore everything upI originally mixed it with some Tahatian moon sand. The sand quickly migrated to the bottom.

This time I tried using it on the bottom with a bag of Eco on top. Maybe the similar grain sizes will keep the soilmaster down. So far(5weeks), it is working great.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode