Cow Manure / dirt - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cow Manure / dirt

Hello!

I am currently running a couple of nano dirt tanks, against most recommandations i have used dirt that contains 30% cow manure. There is no sign of algae beacuse of high nutrients in these tanks. One of the tanks have been running for a couple of months now and looking good.

I see the Miracle Grow potting soil that many aquarists use is containing chicken manure. I have heard that chicken manure is the strongest natural fertilizer there is, mutch more aggressive than cow manure. And cow manure is a slow releasing fertilizer. Could it be so that dirt with cow manure is not so bad to use or do you think i am up for a algae suprise in the future?

This is the label text on the dirt bag i have used:

Quality Soil particularly suitable for indoor plants and window boxes. Nutritious and odorless. The earth is long time composted in 3 years, and are hand-pruned several times during this period.[censored]The result is a nutrient-rich soil full of microlife, ideal for your indoor plants and window boxes.[censored]Debio Approved for organic growers. Raw materials: 30% cow manure, 60% peat and 10% sand.

Jnad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 09:03 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
Have you seen Dogfish's dog poop tank? Anything is possible if setup correctly. Have your ammonia levels gone up at all?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

No, all ammonia measurments have been zero.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 09:33 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
I bet you'll have some beautiful plants growing in that setup

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Algae Grower

Would love to see photos.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hello!

I only have pictures of the smallest of the tanks, and the pictures is some weeks old. The pictures is of the first 13 days of growth, probably have seen this tread beafore, but this is a tank with 30% cow manure.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=266170

Jnad
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnad View Post
Hello!

I am currently running a couple of nano dirt tanks, against most recommandations i have used dirt that contains 30% cow manure. There is no sign of algae beacuse of high nutrients in these tanks. One of the tanks have been running for a couple of months now and looking good.

Quality Soil particularly suitable for indoor plants and window boxes. Nutritious and odorless. The earth is long time composted in 3 years, and are hand-pruned several times during this period.[censored]The result is a nutrient-rich soil full of microlife, ideal for your indoor plants and window boxes.[censored]Debio Approved for organic growers. Raw materials: 30% cow manure, 60% peat and 10% sand.

Jnad
Your tank looks very nice & healthy. Your dirt has been composted for 3 years so I do not think you will have problems with algae if you manage your water changes, feeding and filtration and have appropriate lighting.

This is my "Toxic Ten" tank.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...884&highlight=

I used what gardeners refer to as "Hot Compost" and as you can read there were plenty of people that 'advised' against it. You can also see, in the bad pics, that the sky didn't fall, there was no Anebolic Appocolypse, and the tank is running just fine.

I do need to update some pics.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Have read trough your Toxic Ten, impressive work you have done.

Jnad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Your tank looks very nice & healthy. Your dirt has been composted for 3 years so I do not think you will have problems with algae if you manage your water changes, feeding and filtration and have appropriate lighting.

This is my "Toxic Ten" tank.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...884&highlight=

I used what gardeners refer to as "Hot Compost" and as you can read there were plenty of people that 'advised' against it. You can also see, in the bad pics, that the sky didn't fall, there was no Anebolic Appocolypse, and the tank is running just fine.

I do need to update some pics.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
i will be hiring an elephant when i setup a bigger tank

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnad View Post
Hello!

I see the Miracle Grow potting soil that many aquarists use is containing chicken manure. I have heard that chicken manure is the strongest natural fertilizer there is, mutch more aggressive than cow manure. And cow manure is a slow releasing fertilizer. Could it be so that dirt with cow manure is not so bad to use or do you think i am up for a algae suprise in the future?

Jnad
This is something I posted in another thread. It pertains to some searching about compost I did many, many years ago.

Quote:
Compost being high in nutrients is a myth. Look at a bag of compost from the store. The three primary nutrients are low. Home made compost is very variable in nutrients also but are never very high. I use tons (enough that I borrow the neighbors front end loader to put it down.) I love compost. But it's not the nutrient value I count on. Compost will make nutrients that are already in the soil (Florida has no soil it is 100% sand.) more readily available to the plants. So why use compost? Well it isn't really for the nutrients. Compost lightens clayey soil so it will drain and help build up sand so it will retain moisture better. Why it works for both types of dirt is beyond the scope of this post.
Even though I use compost I still have to add nutrients. I add blood meal and bone meal in addition to the compost. I also add things to increase the beneficial micro-organisms. Compost is only one part of an organic garden. It's a good start but there's more to it.
One reason I could think of not to use compost in a tank though is the amount of particles that want to float.
Quote:
Quote:
The composted cattle manure and straw bedding contained the following amounts:
Nutrient %
Nitrogen 2.6
Carbon 27
Phosphorus 0.9
Potassium 2.0
Sulfur 0.5
Iron 0.8
Zinc 0.02
Copper 0.006
Boron 0.002
Manganese 0.03
Organic Matter 50
Moisture 30

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode