Dirt / Malayan Trumpet Snails - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dirt / Malayan Trumpet Snails

Hello!

I have a couple of dirt tanks going with sand cap. Do anyone use or have experience with using this snails in dirt tanks too shift the sand? I read that Walstad recomend gravel with 3-4mm size, but i dont like gravel and have used sand. Maybe those snails will be useful if using sand as cap?

Any comments is appriciated.

Jnad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
In for responses, I too am wanting to add MTS to a dirted tank with sand cap. Curious if the snails effectively mix the soil without causing the soil to breach the cap.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have 2 2.5 gallon dirted tanks. One has sand cap, one has gravel. They both have a large population of MTS. I have never seen them go deep enough to be in the dirt, or any sign they mix the sand and dirt. I think they stay in the gravel or sand layer. I'm not sure if it is completely true since the tanks are only 1 year old. Also I have one assassin snail in each tank, and they rarely burrow completely into the sand to the point where I can't see them.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I was wondering the same thing. I would't mind trying a few it they only stayed a few.

I'm not new to fish or plants, but am new to planted tanks. It is fun to learn new things and plantedtank.net is a great place to do it.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 12:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
I've used MTS in tanks with MTSoil underneath sand and they were perfectly fine. They don't move soil fast enough to disturb anything. I would say that they do help, but they don't take the place of a good poke with a chopstick.

Piano
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have MTS in both my dirt tanks with sand cap, no issues

|
| Fraternity of Dirt #120
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I've heard black worms do best for soil tanks. It's what I'll be using
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hello!

Black Worms is not available in my local fish shops. But i have today put some MTS in both my dirt tanks, so i will see how that goes

Jnad
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 03:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

Malaysian Trumpets Snails...Just say NO is someone's sig.

If you plan on making it a breeding tank make sure these are not in them.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
Malaysian Trumpets Snails...Just say NO is someone's sig.

If you plan on making it a breeding tank make sure these are not in them.
Why is that, exactly? I have them in my 10 gallon tank, which houses endlers and rcs. Both breed like there's no tomorrow. Am I missing something with this?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shloken38 View Post
Why is that, exactly? I have them in my 10 gallon tank, which houses endlers and rcs. Both breed like there's no tomorrow. Am I missing something with this?
It's probably because MTS can also breed like there's no tomorrow. lol

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well we all know that! But why would this have anything to do with breeding fish and shrimp?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shloken38 View Post
Well we all know that! But why would this have anything to do with breeding fish and shrimp?
I have no idea why... Sorry I didn't see the "If you plan on making it a breeding tank make sure these are not in them.". The one reason why I don't appreciate too many large MTS is, they uproot some of my carpeting plants.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alright, alright.....no need to get touchy on me. I thought maybe you knew something that i missed. And I can understand your point as to why you don't like them. I've been lucky enough to not have that happen. I can see how that would get super annoying.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 02:17 AM
Algae Grower

Would Malaysian Trumpet Snails work in a dirted tank with a gravel cap (1-inch of dirt covered by 1-inch of gravel)? I ask because I almost always hear of them in association with sand substrate aquariums.

As for their populations getting out of hand, perhaps an assassin snail or 2 in order to keep them in line a bit, as long as their populations are large enough to not be wiped out.

Last edited by res34; 03-27-2013 at 02:32 AM. Reason: adding more info

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode