Flourite vs Eco-Complete - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Which substrate is better in terms of nutrients and long-term benefits? I read somewhere that Eco-Complete is packed in Liquid Amazon buffered "Black Water" solution for organic water conditioning. Contains all mineral nutrients needed for luxuriant aquatic plant growth. Includes live Heterotrophic bacteria to rapidly convert fish waste into natural food for your plants. Is this true? :? Plus how much will I need to have a bed of 3"? Since it's filled with water, I need more than I think I need..

:arrow: 48x18x3/558=4.6 or 5, will these be enough if I get 5 bags?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 03:48 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 05:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I was just wondering, since eco-complete and fluorite absorb alot of the nutrients in the water to bring it down to the roots, does this
1. Hamper plants that draw nutrients from the water column.
2. Affect test results of NO3, PO4...and other nutrients?

Lastly, I heard somewhere that fluorite is kinda of sharp - and am wondering if it will be bad for a school of cories. Is eco-complete better for this situation?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
While Flourite does have a high cation exchange capacity, and will absorb some nutrients to store for later use, I don't think it is high enough to hamper growth of plants that primarily obtain nutrients from the water column or affect test results. Unlike something with a really high CEC, like Activated Carbon, it just doesn't absorb that quickly or that much.
As for sharpness and cories - the debate still rages. I personally saw the barbels of a half dozen cories slowly wear down to nubs and the fish eventually perish from foraging through my Flourite. They were fed plenty, with full bellies but they still contantly foraged and eventually died. I won't do cories in a Flourite tank again.

- Sam P -
Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So basically, Flourite is better in the long run due to it's high CEC? What about Eco-Complete, what's it's storing capacity like?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 06:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I agree, whenever I pull plants out of my eco-complete I have to remove the grains from the roots, I've never had that happen with flourite, but it does happen to me with volcanit.

George

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Since it has a high CEC, that means you never have to remove it...you just respike it tabs?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I just read in another forum http://www.fishinthe.net/html/forum/...pic.php?t=7866 that eco-complete is also sharp like fluorite and harms the cories barbs...I was wondering if you could top a layer of sand or gravel over the eco-complete to stop this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 08:25 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
IMO it isnt as sharp edged as Flourite is. Flourite is more like chips or shavings at times while the Eco is more rounded balls...but cories love the sand.
For your cories just do what I did and add some Tahitan Moon Sand for them... its black and goes well with the Eco and they enjoy nosing around in it.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown
Personally, I think they are both about the same when it comes to being a good substrate. I wouldn't believe what you read on the package of Eco-complete *in my opinion*. It states something to the effect that you don't need to add Co2 because of so and so. And I wouldn't count on the "live Heterotrophic bacteria," I don't see things living without oxygen in sealed bags. But I do prefer the color over flourite.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 05:56 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Being a newbie to this area, I have a newbie question.
I have seem people suggest using a thin layer of peat moss on the bottom of the tank. Is this necessary with a product such as eco-complete?

Also, since we are on the substrate question, is there any advantage to going with a light colored substrate? This thread seems to be about dark colored. Or maybe a mix of eco-complete and a light colored substrate?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizer
Being a newbie to this area, I have a newbie question.
I have seem people suggest using a thin layer of peat moss on the bottom of the tank. Is this necessary with a product such as eco-complete?
This provides some organic matter that would act as a time-release fertilizer as the peat was broken down into inorganic phosphate. It's not necessary with Eco-Complete, but I think a thin layer could still help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizer
Also, since we are on the substrate question, is there any advantage to going with a light colored substrate? This thread seems to be about dark colored. Or maybe a mix of eco-complete and a light colored substrate?
Aside from disliking the appearance of a light colored substrate, I feel it causes too much reflection in the tank, making fish appear one-dimensional and bland. A mix of light and cark colored substrates will simply have a salt and pepper look that very few will likely be fond of.
The trend these days is dark, but you choose what looks best to you.

- Sam P -
Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 05:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
IMO it isnt as sharp edged as Flourite is. Flourite is more like chips or shavings at times while the Eco is more rounded balls...but cories love the sand.
For your cories just do what I did and add some Tahitan Moon Sand for them... its black and goes well with the Eco and they enjoy nosing around in it.
Wouldnt the tahitian moon eventually just settle below the larger pieces of eco-complete? because I know for a fact that eco complete has many different particle sizes from fine sand to basically rocks...at first its all mixed up but in a day or two the fine stuff settles and rocks are always on top
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've been hearing alot of people say that eco results in a really sharp increase in ph after putting it in their tanks. For that reason alone I'd go with flourite. Flourite is really really dirty though
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by takadi View Post
I've been hearing alot of people say that eco results in a really sharp increase in ph after putting it in their tanks. For that reason alone I'd go with flourite. Flourite is really really dirty though
Rinse flourite original really well and dry it first before placing it in the tank. I've done this several times with a whole bag rinsed at one time. Less than a cup of fines was actually lost (could care less).

On the Eco topic

Two 55g tanks recently filled. 4 bags eco-complete, 43g actual water column. Filled with RO water 0.0dGH, 0.0dKH, 48hrs with a power head running 2dGH, 3dKH, api drop test kits. This rise in water parameters stopped after two 50% water changes.

HTH

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode