Opinions on Substrate in Maple Trimmed Tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (80/100%)
Opinions on Substrate in Maple Trimmed Tank?

I'm going to be upgrading my Maple trimmed AGA tank (46G Bow) to a real substrate from the gravel I have today. It's either going to be Flourite or Eco-Complete. I've read 1000 posts (or so it seems) about people's preference of substrate, but I'm wondering if anyone with a maple trimmed tank can give me an opinion about which one LOOKS better. Oak trim isn't the same shade of course, but would welcome opinions on that as well. It's hard for me to picture either pure black of EcoComp or the red/black of Flourite.

Thanks for the opinions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 12:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I can try and get a picture tomorrow of a maple (petsmart 16 gal "Top Fin" bowfront) with eco and wood in it. Needs to go in gallery anyways.

Ok, picture posted however sunlight/sprial PC bulbs does not give the most appealing color...
Attached Images

Moved to Tucson.

Last edited by BlueRam; 03-15-2006 at 04:27 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 05:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
What I did was put my favorite growing substrate (Eco at that time) on the base and top dressed it with an inch of a really nice river gravel which was a bit larger diameter. Smaller diameter substrates always stay on the bottom as you know. Even if temporarily on top, they will eventually migrate south.

You can't really see my Eco on the bottom and the top stuff looks better than either Eco or Flourite, IMO. I have had both in two different tanks. And I don't really like the look of either as a sole substrate. You can see the gravel I'm talking about in my signature tank link pic. Also, in this picture in the middle is some Ecocomplete which I added later to help some HC along. I've since covered it up, and that was really easy to do to. But I haven't gotten around to updating the photo. I also did a major re'scape.

I don't remember the name of it, but it was the largest diameter stuff made by Conga Roc??. Not sure if its distributed on the east coast.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (80/100%)
Blue Ram - thanks for the picture. It may be the lighting but certainly not the most appealing color-wise IMO.

Betowess - I appreciate the thought about the two layers. I'm sure lot's of folks have gotten used to the look of pure black but it is a bit different. But, since you need the good stuff on the bottom, it's just something I'll need to get used to.

Thanks again for the advice & pix.

Tom

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode