Aqua Soil alone or with power sand? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Aqua Soil alone or with power sand?

I recently purchased some ADA amazonia new aqua soil as well as the power sand special. I have been gathering supplies for my new 60-P setup and the time has come for me to set it up. My original plan was to use the aqua soil over a layer of power sand special to get the benefits of the additives in the power sand as well as increasing the depth of my substrate. Now that the time has come for me to set everything up Im thinking that I should only use the aqua soil. I feel that over time, from replanting and what not, that the power sand will end up mixing with the aqua soil, ruining the nice homogenous look of the aqua soil.

Have any of you experienced this? Has anyone done what I planned on doing with the layer of power sand only to wish they hadn't?

If you could, please post some of your experiences/thoughts on this.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 11:12 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Re: Aqua Soil alone or with power sand?

My very first AS tank was with powersand. Can you say 90% WC daily for 2 weeks? And it does pop up all over the place. The next 4 tanks were AS only.

I have to say that the tank with PS seems to grow plants the best. Don't really know if that's because of PS or for some other reason.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Power sand definitely helps with nutrients. If you plan on planting nutrients hungry plants, it will for sure help their growth. However, I've had issues with power sand "special" as they are super rich in nutrients, and you will need to change water A LOT in the beginning. I personally recommend using the regular power sand over power sand special.
To mitigate the mixing issue, you can put a nylon mesh on top of power sand, below aqua soil. You can get something similar to screens you use in screen doors/windows.
Final words. You need to be very careful with replanting when using aqua soil. Soil will break up really easily and it will cloud your water if not done carefully.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode