Ada Amazonia new, and water changes while cycling - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (110/100%)
Ada Amazonia new, and water changes while cycling

I plan on letting the tank run for at least 2 months before adding high end shrimp. Do I need to be doing daily water changes? Is it ok to change 50% ish of the water once a week? Ro water takes a lot of time to make and it's a big tank. If I was planning on adding livestock quickly I'd do water changes every day. But being that I'm waiting a while, how often do I need to be changing water? And what percent? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (110/100%)
Anyone?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 01:14 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Re: Ada Amazonia new, and water changes while cycling

Two months is a good amount of time to cycle amazonia I just cycled a 40b in a month with one water change no traces of ammonia but heavily planted and over filtered. My advice especially with shrimp do weekly water changes 30% for the first month. Then next month bump it up a little 40 or so then one big one a week or so before getting the shrimp. I'm no expert but that's what I would do.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I didn't do any water changes on my last as tank. Just planted heavily and cycle was done in about 6 weeks.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
the greenmachine has several videos on how they setup new ada tanks on u tube. worth watching IMHO... also do some searches here. plenty of journals documenting this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
if you can make time and filter through some of the distracting inputs on this thread, ADA's own frank's thread is a GREAT read. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=168992

if it's a new AS, it helps to water change frequently. and i mean everyday for week 1, every other day week 2, every few days week 3, every week on week 4. i'm on week 5 for my new tank that i resetup using 5 month old AS and i still do water changes every few days. i can't speak to scientific reasoning but reading frank's thread made me realize that it's more about taking care of your tank and understanding what's needed from it.
like for instance, i saw some algae yesterday in my tank - i trimmed and suctioned the algaed parts and did a big water change, dosed again and left the light off for the night. i don't know if that's the perfect way of doing it but i'm trying to understand what's required of MY set up. it's a good mentality to pursue when you begin YOUR tank cause your variables will be different from others.

good luck!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
I only change water when ammonia hits the 4-5PPM range. If it remains below 4, I don't do changes during the initial "cycle" process.

My latest batches of Amazonia have only spiked up to 4PPM once or twice, so water changes haven't been as frequent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode