used gravel question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
used gravel question

I have some gravel substrate in the bottom of a small tank that's been sitting waiting for me to finish cleaning it out for several weeks. The tank was only used a couple weeks as a temporary tank, with a HOB from one of my other tanks on it. I had removed all but that last half inch of water.... So, it's still wet, doesn't have an odor.

I'm going to set up another FLuval Spec V and I'd like to use this gravel in it.

Do I need to do anything to it other than a good rinsing?

Thanks from newbie...
Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Reusing Gravel

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylily View Post
I have some gravel substrate in the bottom of a small tank that's been sitting waiting for me to finish cleaning it out for several weeks. The tank was only used a couple weeks as a temporary tank, with a HOB from one of my other tanks on it. I had removed all but that last half inch of water.... So, it's still wet, doesn't have an odor.

I'm going to set up another FLuval Spec V and I'd like to use this gravel in it.

Do I need to do anything to it other than a good rinsing?

Thanks from newbie...
Julie

Hello Julie...

I've reused gravel several times over the years. I've always rinsed it well, then put it into the new tank. I didn't think about a bacteria problem, just wanted the new tank water to be crystal clear.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Is said that using mulm from one tank,, as bottom most layer in new tank,, will help speed up bacterial activity in new substrate. Organic's that may be present are more quickly broken down and made available more quickly for plant's.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Since this was only used 2 weeks as a QT for new fish, and was not cycled before that - I doubt there is much mulm. It's a thin layer.

I have two other small tanks that I can get seed material from, and I plan to take one of the bio sphere bags out each established filter to put in the new filter.

The tank the gravel is coming from I got to use as a temporary hospital and QT tank. In hindsight, I should not have put gravel in it at all, just left the bottom bare.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylily View Post
Since this was only used 2 weeks as a QT for new fish, and was not cycled before that - I doubt there is much mulm. It's a thin layer.

I have two other small tanks that I can get seed material from, and I plan to take one of the bio sphere bags out each established filter to put in the new filter.

The tank the gravel is coming from I got to use as a temporary hospital and QT tank. In hindsight, I should not have put gravel in it at all, just left the bottom bare.
Might still use gravel vac and stick it deep into established tank's substrate and suck out some mulm just before I put new substrate down in new tank.
Can't hurt anything ,and may help as mentioned.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yep, that is the plan, to take mulm from the established Spec and the 15 gal. to put in the new spec. I've had extra bio sphere bag where the carbon should be in one of the 15's filters and also where the carbon goes in the Spec's filter... will take both of those and put in the new Spec filter sponge. They have been in the filters for about 2 months in anticipation of getting another tank, so they should have some good bacteria established in them. Between that, filter rinse gunk and gravel vac stuff - that should get it going.

But the old 10 gallon QT that the gravel I originally posted about - I was not sure if I needed to disinfect it or something. Glad I don't!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode