jointing sand substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: canada
Posts: 177
jointing sand substrate?

Hi guys, So today I was at my local home depot looking for pool filter sand. Unfortunately I didn't find any. Instead I grabbed a 80lbs QUIKRETE PATIO PAVER JOINTING SAND for 11 canadian dollars. Has anybody tried this stuff as substrate? I have an unsightly blue gravel on my planted 45gal bow but I don't want to uproot anything so i'm planning to cap it with this.
iant is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Indychus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 651
Jointing sand will harden when wet to a concrete-like consistency. It is used to lock pavers or stones into place when building patios. I definitely wouldn't use it in an aquarium.
Indychus is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 474
Jointing sand is not what you want - did you ask where to find the pool filter sand? I've yet to find a home depot that doesn't carry it year round.
sarahspins is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: canada
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
Jointing sand will harden when wet to a concrete-like consistency. It is used to lock pavers or stones into place when building patios. I definitely wouldn't use it in an aquarium.
This type does not have polymer that binds it together when wet. I read the MSDS and the only content is uniformly graded silica sand
iant is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: canada
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
Jointing sand is not what you want - did you ask where to find the pool filter sand? I've yet to find a home depot that doesn't carry it year round.
i asked 3 associates where the pool filter sand is and they thought I was crazy
"Now why would anyone put sand in their pool"
iant is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Indychus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by iant View Post
This type does not have polymer that binds it together when wet. I read the MSDS and the only content is uniformly graded silica sand
hmm.. that kinda defeats the point of a jointing sand haha... should be fine if it's just sand. I would rinse it well in warm/hot water before use. Check ph frequently also.
Indychus is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Algae Grower
 
hlaalu's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
hmm.. that kinda defeats the point of a jointing sand haha... should be fine if it's just sand. I would rinse it well in warm/hot water before use. Check ph frequently also.
Does the pool filter sand mess with ph?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hlaalu is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome