Amazonia New 9L price....crazy! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Amazonia New 9L price....crazy!

So I just checked out the local ADA store by me (to remain nameless) and couldn't believe their price for a 9L bag of Aquasoil. This is the price for me walking in and purchasing, no shipping, and they wanted $49.95. Is this crazy? I can order it from across the country with $23 shipping and still save $2 at $47.95. How can these guys expect to make any money when their competition, 3000 miles away, is cheaper? Just wanted to vent a little. I was all excited that FINALLY I wouldn't have to pay shipping and thought I might be able to get a bag for $30-$40. Boy was I wrong, and disappointed. I know there is the whole supply and demand thing, and a lack of ADA stores in the north east, but no ones going to demand this product at that price when there are cheaper alternatives that'll carry it right to my door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
$40-45 is pretty much the going rate in a brick and mortar.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 PM
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
Not surprised it went up. I just picked up fresh bag from my lfs for $45.99 It was $39.99 last time.

Oil price went up drives everything up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

|
|

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
They really don't have a choice. They have to pay the overhead. They need customers that like to shop in the real world.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (82/100%)

You pay an extra $2 to have it NOW! Sometimes it's worth it
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:15 PM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)

What makes you think that your LFS doesn't have to pay shipping? It doesn't magically appear on their shelves...

Having worked in a LFS myself, I can assure you that the mark-up on ADA aqua soil is significantly smaller than most other products. Personally, I would much rather support my LFS by buying from them than ordering online and saving $2, and a lot of hobbyists will say the same...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
I think the point is that even with $23 in shipping cost, it's still $2 cheaper. How can one retailer sell a bag for $25 and another for $45? The answer I got, "to help our online customers". You say support them locally, but they are not doing the same for the local customer.

-

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Even the places that sell it online for less money tend to charge more for local pick-up.

Make of that what you will.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
You won't be able to find a bag of amazonia for $30 locally. AFA sells theirs for $30 and your lfs will have to buy it from them which will cost money shipping which will range from $10-20. So how much profit is your lfs actually making per bag of substrate? $5, $10, $15?
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I just figured if I walked into AFA I would pay $30. So I guess I thought walking into this store would be about the same. AFA has overhead just like any other store so why the drastic price difference? I guess I was more shocked than anything but seeing as most of you pay around that for walk in prices at stores like this I guess they're not too far off.

Also, there's no need for angry, un-witty comments about real world shoppers and magic. It's not your store or your prices, is it? I appreciate the lesson in economics. I had no idea stores had to pay shipping or had overhead costs. Just figured Harry Potter waved his wand, Takashi Amano loaded a bunch of product into that crazy magical bus that appears out of no where, and BOOM, there it is on my LFS' shelves where the person behind the counter who works for free writes me up a receipt using a candle to see in his rent free store. But, maybe I had it all wrong and appreciate you guys setting me straight.

For those of you who commented on prices you have paid recently in stores like this, thank you. That's all I was asking. I do support my LFS, when my LFS supports me. Its a two way street. Thanks again to the nice people.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I could have sworn that some of the Bay area members have said that AFA sells the soil for more in store than they do online but I wouldn't want to swear to that.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I got my bag from an LFS here for like 35, 9L. I still think they have a few sacks.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/100%)
West coast would be cheaper since it's 2000 miles closer to Japan than the east coast. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. I'd rather pay a little bit more to keep the store in business because one day you might need something REALLY QUICKLY and that store won't be there.

You gotta pay to play.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:32 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does anyone know how much a pallet would cost to get shipped in?
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I doubt you'd be able to get one in without owning a store.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode