Can I use this soil? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can I use this soil?

Can I use any of the following soil for MTS?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_92432-76450-...=#BVRRWidgetID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I thought you were going to use the miracle gro organice choise potting mix? I was just about to go get me some, lol.

55 Gallon Planted

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinbos View Post
I thought you were going to use the miracle gro organice choise potting mix? I was just about to go get me some, lol.

Yeah I am going to use the miracle gro. Looked and looked for top soil one more time this morning, and no one knows what in it, or it has the peat moss in it.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcnc View Post
Yeah I am going to use the miracle gro. Looked and looked for top soil one more time this morning, and no one knows what in it, or it has the peat moss in it.
Gotchya! I am going to read up on the miracle gro. How much is it around us? I would rather pay for that if it is cheaper.

55 Gallon Planted

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The miracle gro at home depot is 10 bucks, that for large bag. wal mart has smalls bags for 3 or 4, I cannot recall. What size tank are you going to put it in? Do you plan to sift it?

I sifted mine, and then put it in water to rinse and that turned into a mess. I have a thread going on low tech boards to try and decide if I should sift or just put in right from the bag.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
The miracle gro at home depot is 10 bucks, that for large bag. wal mart has smalls bags for 3 or 4, I cannot recall. What size tank are you going to put it in? Do you plan to sift it?

I sifted mine, and then put it in water to rinse and that turned into a mess. I have a thread going on low tech boards to try and decide if I should sift or just put in right from the bag.
Yeah I will do a thourough cleaning of it. I did do a little reading on it just a minute ago, and it says under the description that it has peat moss. Not sure if that is something that we want. But yes, I also saw the 9.95 price for a large bag as well.

55 Gallon Planted

Fish
Plants
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

And this will be for a 55 gallon low tech and a 10 gallon high tech.

55 Gallon Planted

Fish
Plants
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
And this will be for a 55 gallon low tech and a 10 gallon high tech.
Make sure you get stuff, that in pinkish color bag. If you sift it, think your going to maybe need 2 bags. I don't know to be honest.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I wouldn't put it directly in your tank straight from the bag. I would definitly go through the process of cleaning and rinsing it out. Just as I do with my reptile substrate for my pythons, I will place the bag in the freezer for 24-48 hours to kill any parasites or eggs, and then after I will go about sifting and rinsing. After rinsing it a few times and letting it soak, I will bake the soil to dry it out and I may do those steps ver again. After it is completely dried out, I will add the potash to the bottom, and ground up dried clay to add to the soil, and then I am done. I will not be letting this stup air dry on a tarp...too time consuming and a pain.

55 Gallon Planted

Fish
Plants
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I assume this one...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/1006190...9045#more_info

55 Gallon Planted

Fish
Plants
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

THanks for info. So right now I sifted mine, and it in 2 totes soaking, but does not seem to sink to the bottom, and is muddy mess, so I am not sure how to drain it off.

My options are to let it dry out for several days

or

Just put new bag of it I have direct in the tank.

I am thinking first option as I like to add some clay to it that I already have.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:

That it.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

A video on dirting a tank and what this guy uses...

55 Gallon Planted

Fish
Plants
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
A video on dirting a tank and what this guy uses...

How to Dirt a Planted Tank - Part 1 - YouTube

Thanks for video, I watched all 3.

Did you pickup yours yet? So your going to sift it then rinse it?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Thanks for video, I watched all 3.

Did you pickup yours yet? So your going to sift it then rinse it?
Alright here it goes this is exactly what I will be doing, with explanations.

I am going to 2-3 bags of MGOCPM from Lowes or Homedepot. I will sift all the bags to removed the large particles. I read on a very thurough post on here or fishtanktv.com (can't remember) that if sifted we will come away with 40% of the bag. If thats the case I want to buy more just in case, that is the reason for 2-3 bags.

After sifting, I will soak the potting mixed in various 5 gallon buckets. I soak all the dirt for 2-3 days. Apparently we will notice some oil residue sitting on type, and the water will reek of ammonia. The person on that post i mentioned aboved said to do this again, or until no ammonia scent is present.

After soaking and rinsing, this guy did the whole tarp air dry process, but I will not do that. I am one of those I want it now type people, so I will bake in the oven at a low temp to speed up the drying process. After that is done I will let sit and cool down.

After the dirt is ready to go, I will will sprinkle muriate of potash (potassium sulfate, and if you want any just let me know), and crush coral (calcium carbonate, in place of dolomite) on the bare bottom of the tank. I will create a border with the cap that I will be using which is pool filter sand that is already being used. This will help with adding beneficial bacteria, since it is already a cycled substrate. I also would suggest you to do the same, to help with any possible ammonia, but that is the point and rinsing and drying the dirt.

For clay, I will take the plunge and added the TerraCotta clay from Michaels and AC Moore, unless you may have extra (I remember you mentioning that you had some coming in). I will take the clay and let it air dry till it gets hard. I will then break it up in many pieces and then ground it up in a coffee grinder that I use for some of my fish food. I will then mix the clay in the dry dirt, and them wet it and then add to the tank.

I may be quite generous with the dirt I make because I want a pretty thick layer and then a nice layer of pool filter sand.

When I fill the tank, I will fill it the slowest I have ever filled up a tank! Lol. I do not want to stir up any of the substrate. I will plant as normal, and when all fille up, I will run the filter.

Pricing:

2-3 bags of MGOCPM: $20-$30
Muriate of Potash: Free
Crushed Coral Small bag: Roughly $10
TerraCotta Clay from Michaels: $9-$10

I will spend roughly $50 on a fantastic substrate for my planted aquariums (55 Gallon Low Tech and 10 Gallon High Tech)

Since we are both doing this at the same time, and we are in the same area, we should go in on some of this. There is no way I will use a full bag of Cruched Coral (Don't have any reef tanks), and possibly the Miracle Gro. Its up to you though.

55 Gallon Planted

Fish
Plants

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode