Trying to get high - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Trying to get high

Hi Folks,
Getting real close to starting my 1st planted tank. Perhaps not the optimal tank shape for a newbie but I am big on research so I am confident. Tank is a 45 tall (36x12x24). I have a beefy compact fluorescent fixture so getting light to the bottom should be okay. My only snag is deciding how to build height with my substrate. My idea is to build a tiered garden effect with multi levels on one side only and I want it to be quite high. Struggling with how to achieve this without having to silicone supports to the tank glass. I don't want it to slide down when I add circulating water. Substrate is mainly Fluval Stratum so if anyone has an idea I am all eyes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have heard of using egg crate (a lighting grid used to diffuse office lights) to support the substrate.
A dry start might help, too. If you can get the ground cover well rooted it will help hold the slope when you add water.
Perhaps a nicely shaped rock or driftwood with moss, Java Fern or Anubias would be a good substitute.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I have heard of using egg crate (a lighting grid used to diffuse office lights) to support the substrate.
A dry start might help, too. If you can get the ground cover well rooted it will help hold the slope when you add water.
Perhaps a nicely shaped rock or driftwood with moss, Java Fern or Anubias would be a good substitute.
egg crate for sure

msawdey
-Just another day in paradise-

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 02:05 AM
Planted Member

I have also heard of people bagging sand then covering the bagged sand with substrate, and using that to create slopes and tiers.

Eheim Pimp #533

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 03:07 AM
Algae Grower

You could try using slate to make some terraced spaces? stand up some tall pieces on their ends at the back and work down to short pieces at the front. or it could be done with wood too.
Here's an example of one Terrace someone did.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

All great ideas! Thanks. I like the crate idea and may attempt a dry build this week. (Thanks for explaining what they were msawdey) I read egg crates on a couple other threads and was wondering how those cardboard egg cartons could possibly help. lol. I think the grid work of the crate material will allow me to go straight up with steeper slopes which is what I am trying to achieve. Thanks to kal daka for showing me how to stack slate pieces to give it a more natural look and added support. I will post a pic or 2to show my progress.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Sorry Diana. I forgot to thank YOU for the crate definition.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 04:41 AM
Algae Grower

Ive seen people bag up something cheap, like crushed lava rock or any old aquarium gravel, into a nylon bag or pantyhose, and then pile their desired top layer substrate on top of this. Just a cheap way to get a hill in a back corner without buying another bag of aquasoil.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 11:44 PM
Algae Grower

I found another image that might provide some inspiration. Looks pretty cool, dunno how it's done tho.

here's a link to the page it's from.
http://www.aquahobby.com/tanks/e_tank1105.php

Last edited by kal_daka87; 02-24-2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: adding photo's and links
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 02:43 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
You can make that background by layering pieces of cut foam board with glue, then run a torch over it to soften the edges, paint it, and glue it in place in the tank. That was the short version :-)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode