Prepping Safe T Sorb? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Prepping Safe T Sorb?

So I just got two 40lb bags of Safe T sorb for my 75 gallon, and poured it into a tub and I was amazed of how dusty this stuff is. I haven't started rinsing it yet but it seems like it would take forever. So I was wondering what kind of method people use to clean/rinse it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I rinsed all of mine with a strainer to get a lot of the really small particles and dust out. Supposedly it will always cloud a little when disturbed. Mine is currently in a preparation tank, getting prefertilized. Without any filtration it cleared itself up in about 2 days.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was in the exact same spot as you about a month ago. I put it in my tank, filled with water about 4" over the substrate and then siphoned off 5 gal, added 5 gal and repeat. Did this for about... 200+ gallons and it still clouds up whenever I do any major moving. I'd suggest saving your back and finding some way, ANY way to clean it before putting it in the tank as it was certainly more work than I expected.

NEW 75g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OLD 75g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OLD 29g Journal:

TPT says I'm an algae grower... I'd like to think of myself as one hell of a Cabomba farmer.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I put it in the tank dry, then rinsed it in the tank.
Twice filling the tank less than halfway, and deliberately stirring up the STS to make as much mess as possible. Empty by placing the siphon at the very bottom of the tank, moving away the substrate from a corner to make room for the siphon.
On the final refill I put the STS bag (empty) in the tank and refilled by slowly running the water in over the bag.

It was slightly hazy, but I would have added the fish if the filters had been cycled.
I started the fishless cycle, and a day later the water was almost perfectly clear.

When I rearranged the rocks, making quite a mess, it settled very fast, and was again clear by the next day.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm in my fishless cycle now too, and when I re-arranged my rocks it had cleared by the next morning.

NEW 75g Journal:

OLD 75g Journal:

OLD 29g Journal:

TPT says I'm an algae grower... I'd like to think of myself as one hell of a Cabomba farmer.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think I'll just use a strainer, and since it settles pretty quick I'll probably rinse it like 10 times until it runs clear or so I can at least see through it. Also, I'm layering my substrates so the STS will be on the bottom, then eco-complete and then black diamond sand on the very top. I'll be adding oscomote capsules and root tabs to help growth. Is this a good idea?

Btw is using a pillowcase okay?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So, this is after about an hour's worth of rinsing and I'm not seeing much of an improvement. This is only one of the bags which is 40lbs. What should I do next
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-16_15.41.19[1].jpg
Views:	119
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	88746  

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It will slowly get better. After a long time I finally said "good enough" and like I said, even after I disturb it now it settles rather quickly.

NEW 75g Journal:

OLD 75g Journal:

OLD 29g Journal:

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Planted Member

Prepping Safe T Sorb?

Excel clarity and filter floss is what I used
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 10:12 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
I just rinse it a few times, put it in the tank and then slowly add water. Clears up with a sponge filter running in under an hour.

With any clay/dirt-based substrate, there tends to be clouding if it's disturbed too much. So just work slowly with it and you won't run into problems.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 05:34 AM
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)
Sts isn't made to stay together.
It is made to suck up water, oil, whatever and break down.
What you see is the Sts sucking up water like a sponge would.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
If you ever dump clay into your tanks, you'll notice water hazing up.

This is normal as ats is entirely made of baked clay. Rinsing will eliminate the fine particles a bit. You can always run a filter after several sifts to help with water clarity.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I used the technique shown in this video to add STS to my tank.

I used a 2 liter coke bottle with its larger mouth. While I got a little cloudiness, it disappeared within a few hours.

This was a fish-in substrate change. I used a siphon to suck out all the old substrate into a bucket and then used the coke bottle to add the STS. I didnt even rinse the STS. The fish hardly noticed anything had happened.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
When I was rinsing the flourite, I was doing it in small batches. At most just enough to cover the bottom of a 5 gal bucket about half an inch.

After 6-7 times of adding water, stir violently, and drain; it was still cloudy but able to see the substrate finally.

If it's something that wasn't labeled for aquarium use for STS or whatever, I'd feel better rinsing it first.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Banned

Location: dupe of h4n - h4n is banned for repeatedly scamming our members & sales system
I rinsed mine a few times in a 5g bucket and then gave up.

Added to the tank, filled slowly.
It was cloudy for a few hours. But by next morning it was all gone. And crystal clear

Just more careful when planting and working near the susbtrate.

No way your ever going rinse it all out.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode