Oil dry - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Oil dry

Ihave a 30 gal. Low tech, low light, DIY co2, planted tank that has been running for four years. I would like to up my plant growth.
1 would adding oil dry to my lake shore gravel help?
2 should I just add some on top of my gravel and mix it in?
3 should I remove some gravel and put the oil dry in and then cap it with the gravel?
4 should I do this a little at a time?
5 if I should add oil dry what is my next step, root tabs, or dry frets or neither at this time I have only added a cap full of plant gro once or twice a week.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
From what I've read (mostly on here) it sounds like Safe-T-Sorb holds up better long term then oil-dri.

Both just serve to help transfer nutrients from the water column to the plants roots (the higher CEC rating).

Do you have anything else currently in your substrate, or is it strictly gravel?

the OD/STS can be used instead of gravel, so you could just mix it in, or dump it on top, or whatever. It would probably be better if you had some nutrient source in your substrate, either a dirt layer under the gravel/OD/STS, or root-tabs or something underneath.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
From what I've read (mostly on here) it sounds like Safe-T-Sorb holds up better long term then oil-dri.

Both just serve to help transfer nutrients from the water column to the plants roots (the higher CEC rating).

Do you have anything else currently in your substrate, or is it strictly gravel?

the OD/STS can be used instead of gravel, so you could just mix it in, or dump it on top, or whatever. It would probably be better if you had some nutrient source in your substrate, either a dirt layer under the gravel/OD/STS, or root-tabs or something underneath.
I do not have anything other than gravel. But if I can add Oil Dry then I was going to also add root tabs, is that a good idea?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Algae Grower

I personally like the look of Saf-t-Sorb better than Oil Dri, when its wet. STS is a lighter looking color when wet while Oil Dri becomes really dark. I use root tabs spread out around my STS substrate where there are plants just to add nutrients for the plants that may need it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
You might want to research CEC in mulm and the absorbent material like safetsorb and oil dri. Your old gravel is very likely rich in mulm and I think mulm is high in CEC too. If you dislike the appearance of your gravel then go for it, I really like the look of the absorbent clays myself. Here is one article http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...ilization.html

Try adding root tabs before messing with the substrate. I made ones with red clay and the dry powders from this thread. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187077 It is possible a shout out on the RAOK forum could get you an offer from somebody who has a bunch on hand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode