Dirt's too... Dirty - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Dirt's too... Dirty

Well, i feel like dirt just isnt working out for me, it's leaching too many nutrients into the water column, and that + Direct Sunlight is creating so much algea i dont know any other potion, but change the substrate, no price is really out of my range. I've been looking at Eco Complete, also theres some at Petsmart i've looked at.

So basically... Whats everyones favorite substrate for a planted tank?

I could also go just gravel or sand and root tabs, i don't mind that idea at all.

Yet another thing, if anyone has any tips on getting aout most of my Trumpet snails from the substrate to change it out, i would love to know those.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Obviously you're not a golfer."
-The Dude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Take it out of the sunlight...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Algae Grower

aquasoil

ADA brand aquasoil is the best substrate you can use

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 07:32 PM
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewoodaquarium View Post
ADA brand aquasoil is the best substrate you can use
Best is relative to the purpose of the substrate.

What problems are you having with the dirt? I have a 300g dirt tank and the water is never murky.

hi
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Maybe you are getting some extra ammonia > nitrates production from the organic matter. Extra water changes will help to correct that.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLove View Post
Take it out of the sunlight...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Easier said than done

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-The Dude
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVN View Post
Best is relative to the purpose of the substrate.

What problems are you having with the dirt? I have a 300g dirt tank and the water is never murky.
The largest issue im having is that my tank recieves direct sunglight, and excess nutrients, that i have found is caused by the dirt, helps feed the algea. My waters not murky, its just instead of feeding just my plants the dirt is feeding all the algea, also im looking to get a darker substrate.

-The Dude
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Algae Grower

To get the snails out of your substrate, take a soda bottle, put a slice of zucchini in it, submerge it, and wait overnight, you'll have a bunch of them in there in the morning, do this 2-3 nights in a row, you'll get most of them, for even better results cut the top off, and invert it, to make a trap, you can search the site, on how to do this
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Maybe you are getting some extra ammonia > nitrates production from the organic matter. Extra water changes will help to correct that.
It's not that, i do change weekly and i usually test before hand, the only time i've had ammonia issues was when cycling, which was nearly 6 months ago.

-The Dude
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
My favorite is Flourite.

As it contains no nutrients, it can neither leach them nor become depleted. Nutrients will stick to it where roots can easily access them (CEC property), and although it's not the best at this, it's still far better than gravel or sand; use of root tabs can provide additional benefit, but aren't required. Doesn't turn to mud after a few years, requiring another investment and tank teardown.

Gives you total control over nutrient levels. Depending on your point of view, this is either a blessing or a curse.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
My favorite is Flourite.

As it contains no nutrients, it can neither leach them nor become depleted. Nutrients will stick to it where roots can easily access them (CEC property), and although it's not the best at this, it's still far better than gravel or sand; use of root tabs can provide additional benefit, but aren't required. Doesn't turn to mud after a few years, requiring another investment and tank teardown.

Gives you total control over nutrient levels. Depending on your point of view, this is either a blessing or a curse.
I never really looked at flourite, i like the fact that it doesn't leach nutrients, my only question though is what will it run me? i'll need enough for a 40 gal tall (30 in long)

-The Dude
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

40lb bag of saf t sorb $4.50 at tractor supply. Dose or add root tabs as needed.

A well formulated soil is better than any other substrate when it comes to growing plants, but it's a PITA if you ever want to rescape or pull out a heavy rooter.

" border="0" />

Clubs are lame Club #1
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
I never really looked at flourite, i like the fact that it doesn't leach nutrients, my only question though is what will it run me? i'll need enough for a 40 gal tall (30 in long)
I bought seven bags from thatpetplace.com, $16.13 each, with a free shipping promo. It's heavy, and free shipping or a good local price makes a big overall price difference, so shop around.

Seachem has a calculator that tells you exactly how much you need, given your tank dimensions and desired substrate depth:

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod.../Flourite.html

I recommend getting an extra bag or two. It's good to have on hand in case you want to fill out a particular area some more later.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I like this... now Petsmart Has seachem flourite plant substrate, any takes on that? it would be way easier because i could go there and get it instead of having it shipped.

I also really like the idea of the sand and root tabs, i do have a tractor supply and all that good stuff close, now i have to make a more preference based decision, i wanted a darker substrate, but in the big picture that isn't too much of a bother if it doesn't happen, and something that won't leach nutrients into the water column, helping keep a check on algea.

Another thing to note is that i have several heavy root feeders that i really value, a brazilian sword and red indian as well as 5 or 6 healthy old Amazons, so i want something that can take care of that, i could add root tabs to the flourite for these.

-The Dude
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Flourite, turface, saf t sorb and (some) oil dri are all basically the same thing. The latter will strip KH initially (it's supposed to), not sure if flourite does or doesn't.

" border="0" />

Clubs are lame Club #1

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode