New to planted tanks and need substrate help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
New to planted tanks and need substrate help

I have a 26 gallon bowfront that I had intended on only doing java ferns and rooting plants like that in, so I bought pea gravel for my substrate. After a lot of looking at different tanks, I've decided that I would really like to do at least a portion of the tank with a dwarf hair grass carpet. From a lot of what Ive read, it wont work very well in the substrate I have. After reading a ton of different articles and posts on different substrates, Im now more confused and need some help. I plan on getting panda cories and rcs for the tank once its a little more put together, so it needs to be something suitable for them as well.

What would be the best substrate to grow the hair grass in? I dont have a LFS, so anything I buy will have to be ordered in.

My tank is already up and running. Its been cycled and already has fish in it and I can't take the fish out. Can I cap or mix the pea gravel with something else to make it better for stem plants? Or would it be better to somehow seperate the pea gravel from a different substrate and plant the hair grass just in that section?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
sand on top/under of the gravel will work, works better if you sift out the super fine stuff
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 01:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like Eco complete. It holds even the smallest glosso stems. I believe eco complete is okay with cory.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)
I was sort of in the same dilema as you because I wanted to add more types of live plants to my tank, so I added eco complete in addition to my inert gravel. But I did not have that much success as I would have hoped. So eventually I just did a complete substrate change to dirt capped with gravel. I am very glad I decided to do that because even though my tank is super low light with no co2 I have had great growth! I just moved my filter and fish into a tub overnight and changed the substrate. I had no mini cycle either. And another thing, unless you have high light and co2, hairgrass is tough with even the vest substrate.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode