New Tank looking for suggestion - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (23/96%)
New Tank looking for suggestion

I just got a 20 gallon long for free!!! I was just seeing if anyone has any ideas of what would be a good black substrate. I'm looking for something that is pretty nutrient complete and great for plants.Also something safe for for cories and shrimp. Any suggestion would be great!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Most solutions are inert and so they don't have any nutrients. Having said that, they're still great for planted tanks bc plants can grab and hold onto the substrate and they're capable of holding nutrients that you introduce into a tank (i.e. potting soil, roots tabs, column ferts).

Good choices are:

Eco-Complete
Flourite
Amazonia
Fluval Stratum

ADA substrates are not inert, they release ammonia, and are typically the cadillac class of substrates - also the priciest.

I personally like Eco-Complete.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
I've used ADA Aquasoil, Eco-Complete, Flourite, and Turface. All comes down to how much you want to spend. Eco-Complete and Flourite are about the same in price and in quality (both high quality inert substrates). Turface will be a lot cheaper, but it doesn't come in black, only in dark grey (which can be hard to find these days), and it also is very light in weight compared to the Eco and Flourite so it was annoying for me to plant in (hence why I don't use it anymore).

Right now I use Aquasoil in my 60-P and a mix of AS and Eco-Complete in my 120g. I guess my bottom line is, if money is no object, aqua soil all the way. If money is a concern, but you want something really nice, Eco-Complete.

Final notes: 3M used to make a product called Colorquartz that was like sand and came in pitch black. It's been discontinued as a product, but you can still find it in some pool supply stores. Also, MTS (Mineralized Top Soil) may be worth looking into if you are a DIYer as a way to provide a nutrient rich substrate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
__
__

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (23/96%)
Have you guys ever tried using flourite black sand? or the black fluorite? Do these substrate have inert? or will i need to add something to them?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode