New substrate. Filter off or On ? How long ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question New substrate. Filter off or On ? How long ?

Hello everyone. This is my first attempt at a planted aquarium. It seems I have jumped into this before actually being intellectually ready. Now I'm on the internet looking for answers. This community looks amazing. I plan to stick around.

I have a 29 gallon and Eheim classic 250 canister filter(unestablished).

Question:

I purchased fluval strathum substrate. The directions say to rinse lightly. I did this, and I can tell the water wouldn't be instantly clear. I filled my aquarium as gently as I could but the water is quite muddy. I cant really see anything in the aquarium. I don't want to turn on any filtration because I dont know if I should wait. I'm not quite sure what I should do at this point. Any tips are very welcome. Thank you in advance. I'm sorry if this question is super boring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 03:59 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Turn on your filter and let it do its thing.

The dust from the substrate will eventually settle.

In the meantime, you can look around for articles regarding cycling your aquarium so that it can support fish/shrimp/other livestock.

Finally, welcome to TPT.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

stuff floss in your filter, it will collect all the particles and clear up in no time.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can do a few water changes aimed at removing more of the cloudy water if you want. It is like rinsing the substrate in the tank. Keep the vacuum intake as low as you can, and dig in a bit where you can.

If the tank is not yet planted then I would drain it for planting, mist the plants, then refill.

Then turn on the filter. Run it with some floss or quilt batting and check it daily or every other day. Rinse and reuse.

You can start the fishless cycle while working to clear the water.

It really is not a lot of work to get the water clear. Mostly just waiting.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

This might seem trivial but I'm not sure what you mean by stuffing the filter with floss. Quilt batting I understand. Is floss something like that ? What should I look for ?

The tank is not planted yet so I will definitely remember to drain before planting. Thanks for the tips !
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan View Post
This might seem trivial but I'm not sure what you mean by stuffing the filter with floss. Quilt batting I understand. Is floss something like that ? What should I look for ?
Filter floss is essentially quilt batting. Aquarium stores just name it (and price it) differently.

If you are buying quilt batting, just make sure that you are buying the one that does not have flame retardant. You just want plain quilt batting.

The floss/quilt batting acts as a fine polish to remove particulate matter, such as the dust from your substrate, from the water column.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan View Post
The tank is not planted yet so I will definitely remember to drain before planting. Thanks for the tips !
Definitely; as Diana mentioned, draining the aquarium prior to planting makes things much easier. You can have the aquarium filled as well, but it is more of a hassle.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I guess I don't have to buy the filter floss ?? I don't know how or why but my aquarium is perfectly clear now. Thanks again for the tips.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Planted Member

+1 on the filling the canister full of floss.

If you have established bio-media already in your canister and have an extra heater on hand, throw the bio-media and heater into a Homer bucket let it sit. I've always felt that leaving the bio-media in the canister after such a drastic change in the tank setup and running it may compromise the bacteria.

The longer I'm involved in this hobby the more & more I'm convinced that Bio-Type species tanks are the way to go. Plants and fish/inverts live together in nature for a reason. I find the less I try to fight nature the better my tanks look.

- DogFish 1.24.12
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If the water has cleared, then no, it is not necessary to use a lot of floss.

Tags
cloudy water, filtration, new substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode