1st post=stupid questions=sorry up front - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
1st post=stupid questions=sorry up front

Ok so this is my first post, and I have read many threads and just would like some straight forward answers i guess.

For starters I want to say, great site, glad i found it.

Also, that I have had fish tanks for many years, starting back in the early 90s so I know a little about fresh water tanks and even did a marine tank for about a year not too long ago.

Currently I live in the UK (US expat) and dayum are things expensive here. So with that said I have decided to ditch the marine tank love and go for plants in my freshwater tank.

I have always had plants, mostly easy to grow ones, and never really spent much time with that aspect of the hobby, buy the plants, chuck em in the tank, put some food in the water when needed and have a nice day.

Now I am wanting to do a bit more and have read loads and FINALLY I get to my questions (sorry)

I purchased Miracle Gro potting mix enriched compost
(is this ok to use or did i buy the wrong stuff when i read people are using potting soil)?

Also I have sand box sand from the diy as well but have read mixed reviews on this option. (too thick, etc)

I cannot seem to find any of the goodies mentioned on this site here in the UK and if i do my god they are waaaay expensive. I went to buy feeder goldfish for my oscars today and the guy says "huh?" 2.50 per goldfish sir. Have a nice day!
(oscars not in the tank i am adding plants to)

So basically I am trying to determine if the substrate is ok? I have a co2 injector that came with the tank (part of why i decided to go with many plants this time vs big fish)

Thanks for your help and sorry for rambling on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
not sure about the UK but in the states most dirty's use Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix or cheap unfertilized potting or top soil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(A)narchy Love
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonconductive View Post
not sure about the UK but in the states most dirty's use Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix or cheap unfertilized potting or top soil
Anything else I should put down with it, or is the soil plus a layer of gravel on top ok?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

soil plus cap should be good

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(A)narchy Love
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonconductive View Post
soil plus cap should be good
What is the reasoning behind using smaller grain gravel vs normal pebble size?

Also is there anything basic that I should not do (stupid mistake wise) like have an air stone strip running the back of the tank?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Planted Member

basically just looking for organic soil want to be sure it doesn't have any additives. probably want to sift it and get the pieces of wood and other things that will float out of it so you don't have to deal with them in your tank. also from what i've read the cap needs to be at least a certain depth to keep the soil in place. lastly i've read these type tanks can be a bit of a pain if you want to constantly be moving plants around as it stirs the dirt up and makes a mess. this is just what ive read as ive been researching doing a tank like this also. good luck with the tank and looking forward to seeing some pics once its set up.

these links might help also
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=152027

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=72382
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Welcome to the forum!
This is my first 'dirt' tank and it closely follows the Walstad method.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=86457
The thread has a pic and journal timeline on how it all worked for me.
Now there are 20 more flooded mud boxes here and all the threads have tank setup info.

HopeThisHelps

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
zoo minzi those links you posted and using soils rich in organic content are miles apart on method. I'm not into method bashing (which you will read in other 'method' threads) I do what works well for me and my tanking needs. What works get repeated,, often with another little twist or two. MTS method using Miracle Gro your starting with the wrong dirt.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Planted Member

just to clarify, not saying they are the same thing just putting another idea out there.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode