Need to remove cap and MGOCPM to move tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Need to remove cap and MGOCPM to move tank

I need to move my tank, I am using MGOCPM, and cap of the aquarium plants dot com substrate, it works great so far for me, but moving tank too another room. I am not strong like bull, and don't have any friends that are strong like bull to lift tank with MGOCPM and cap in it still, so how do I empty it and not make a total mess of my substrate?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Do you have any PVC pipe laying around? Cut a number of lengths and use them for rollers. Or put heavy duty furniture movers under the corners of the stand. Have somebody shove under whatever you decide to try as you lift one end of the tank. Give instructions to NOT under any circumstances put any body part under the stand - use a pusher of some sort if need be.

Take the doors off and make movers out of some rope and PVC for handles.

If you make a hole in the substrate at one end, put a bottomless cup [another bit of that PVC maybe?] in there and siphon out most of the water you may be strong enough to move the tank on your own. Putting something under the other end of the tank would help get more water out as well.

I could shift my 180 acrylic with super heavy home made stand without substrate but once it was in I couldn't budge the tank. I did forget about using the rope/PVC movers though.

That written but really it is safer to remove the substrate from a large tank. Any twisting of the stand and your tank may bust a seam. You can attempt to skim most of the topper and rinse it by partly filling and dumping the tank once you have the tank set up in its new location. It doesn't really matter if there is topper mixed with the soil so just scoop the rest out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Jim - I've syphoned a few sand Caps off so far leaving the MTS underneath untouched. I also syphoned off some MTS base in one tank.

If you just go slow and basically shave it of in layers as you syphon the tank will stay pretty clean and you not get your layers mixed. You may need to refill the tank 2 or 3 times. It does take a while but keeping the tank clean and not mixing the base & cap is worth it, I think.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Yep, just syphoon the stuff out. How big is your tank?

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thanks for the info. It 125, i need to move the tank about 10 feet, straight shot.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode