Cloudy water from STS - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Cloudy water from STS

So I set up my 60 gallon a couple of weeks ago with dirt capped by STS. I rinsed the daylights out of the STS but then did something that I thought would not be stupid but turned out to be-I transfered the rinsed STS into buckets the had some calcium montimorlite clay in the bottoms of them. Now I have cloudy water that won't seem to go away! The tank is filtered by an Aquaclear 110 and a Perfect HW-403B(knock off canister)filter. I have changed water and cleaned the filters numerous times. Yesterday I dug out my old Vortex diatom filter and ran it all day. I changed out the powder twice because it clogged up! It made a huge difference. I turned on the lights this this morning and now I see a slight haze in the water. Will this go away once the filters and tank are cycled? I'm hoping any biofilm forming on the substrate will trap any remaining dust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
What is STS?

It's best to let cloudy tank settle for a day or two with no water movement. Running your HOB and Canister just keep stirring up the dust. Even water changes must be massive to flush out the suspended particles.

The Diatom filter is about the only thing that has a fine enough filter to be effective.

I suggest turn off your HOB & Canister for a few hours, do one more water change if that isn't enough, run the Diaton filter again.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
STS = Safe T Sorb.

Yes, your cloudiness will go away as the tank settles. Working to correct it, for the most part, tends to cause more cloudiness. Just give it some time and be sure you clean your filters to make sure there's no excessive buildup.

Could also run a sponge filter or two for a while to help remove particles from the water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
STS = Safe T Sorb.

Thanks, to many acronyms in this hobby.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You may WANT to stir it up MORE. Deliberately MAKE A MESS.
Then clean it up, knowing you are removing materials that could cloud the water later. For example when you are moving a plant.

I've this in more than one tank, in effect, rinsing the substrate in the tank.

Yes, eventually most of these materials will be incorporated in the bio film or in some other way locked up so they do not cloud the water, but I like removing these things during set up so there is less for the tank's microorganisms to have to deal with.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode