Sakrete Multi-purpose Sand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sakrete Multi-purpose Sand

Hey guys!

So I've decided to get back into planted tanks! I took a few years off the hobby while in college. Anyway, I'm setting up a 75g and just bought some sakrete multi purpose sand due to its price (and I like the color more than pfs or play sand). I've read some contrasting posts on whether or not it's safe. Does anyone here have any experience with it? It contains crystalline silica.

This is my first time using a sand substrate in a planted tank. I'm excited!

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I've had in in my 40 (see link in sig line) for I think 5 mos. as a Cap over MTS.

I had Black Diamond blasting grit but it was to dark. Initially, I liked it, after a month the fine sand settled and I have small gravel. To get a better look, I syphoned off most of it in the front leaving a few patches of the sakcrette. I used play sand to replace it.

I like the current mix better. The low spots have more light gravel, higher spots fine sand. Which is what you would see in a stream. For what I want my "scape to look like it's a good mix.

As far as the All Purpose Sand, I didn't feel it was excessively dirty when I rinsed it prior to use.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode