Substrate in aquascaping....Help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Substrate in aquascaping....Help!

Hi all I posted a question the other day about using my two 20lb bags of eco-complete with a black sand cap. I have been reconsidering the color scheme of the very dark substrate. I was thinking of using a more natural river stone colored gravel and black sand with the eco-complete. I figure that the sand will look like silt, the e.c. will look a little like dirt and the garvel will add texture.
Please pass along advise. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 01:21 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
The problem with this is that the black sand will eventually settle to the bottom, while the Eco Complete and the gravel may mix together.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 02:50 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I used flourite and play sand as a cap. I mixed some flourite in the sand and sprinkled some on top as well to give it a more natural look. It has dirtied up a bit over the past few months but i think it keeps looking better. I have pictures in my tank journal search for 37 gallon learning experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 02:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
When I use slightly larger pebbles in my tanks (1/2" to 2" diameter) they do tend to mix with the substrate. They show up for a while, then sink down... Quite natural!

I like the dark substrate. Makes the fish and plants stand out. A subtle colored substrate is good, too. Again, the fish and plants are more noticeable, unless the fish are camouflage colored! And I do seem to like these... fresh water gobies, catfish, and so on.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Thanks for the input. I can see how a mixed substrate will add a natural element. With the sand "sinking" with time from the original placement, I think it might look good.

Tags
advise, aquascape, newbie questions, substrate eco-complete, substrate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode