What kind of sand should I use? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question What kind of sand should I use?

I was thinking about putting pool filter sand as a cap for my MGOPM but I was wondering if they have any colors that look like real sand (the tan color).

I have seen some threads where it is used and it seems to be super white. Are there other colors as well?

If not, what is a good alternative? I have heard that regular play sand isn't the best option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
There are several varieties of pool filter sand. Some natural, some white, some even look pink. Just depends upon the brand you buy.

Check out a few home improvement stores/hardware stores and check pool supply companies.

If you don't like pool filter sand, there's blasting grit, Safe T Sorb, Turface, regular sand at your local pet store, et al.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quickrete premium play sand is tan in color, comes already screened and rinsed. Make sure to get MGOCPM not MGOPS. Snuffy317

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
There are several varieties of pool filter sand. Some natural, some white, some even look pink. Just depends upon the brand you buy.

Check out a few home improvement stores/hardware stores and check pool supply companies.

If you don't like pool filter sand, there's blasting grit, Safe T Sorb, Turface, regular sand at your local pet store, et al.

Yes, PFS comes in several colors - depends on your location.
In addition to the colors mentioned by somewhat shocked, it also comes in a darker beige/sand color, and light grey.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy317 View Post
Quickrete premium play sand is tan in color, comes already screened and rinsed. Make sure to get MGOCPM not MGOPS. Snuffy317

Have you used this product before?

I noticed it at my local hardware store for like $8.00 for a 25 kg bag which seems reasonable.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 01:34 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer_d View Post
Have you used this product before?

I noticed it at my local hardware store for like $8.00 for a 25 kg bag which seems reasonable.
Yes , I have it in a 75gl. settles right back quickly after a strong tail swipe. I've got it as a cap over a chicken byproduct organic mix. Just need to make sure your stems get thru it to the dirt. That 50lb bag at lowes is $3.53
http://www.lowes.com/pd_10392-286-11...3006085&rpp=16

Mine is a little thin in a couple spots, should have got a second bag.
Snuffy317
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I am in Canada and don't have Lowes but I saw it online at Home Depot so I will check it out there.

I have read some people say it gets compacted due to the small size of the grains and needs to be mixed up a bit or there are gas pockets?!? Ever had any problems with that?

Appreciate your time and help!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So I went to the store and they only have the gray colored play sand. It wouldn't be a very nice look for the tank so I am going to have to think of something else.

Will take a look at a couple pool supply stores this week to see about pool filter sand.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 04:08 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I am in Canada and don't have Lowes but I saw it online at Home Depot so I will check it out there.

I have read some people say it gets compacted due to the small size of the grains and needs to be mixed up a bit or there are gas pockets?!? Ever had any problems with that?

Appreciate your time and help!
I do have some spots that want to almost crust, maybe what they are talking about. I use a 1/8 rigid tube coupled to another 1/8 rigid tube and then that much 1/8 soft tubing coupled to that to vac barebottom tanks and I use that to stir those areas up the best I can. Was my first planted tank and didnt want to experiment expensively. All in all , its been a good fun learning experience. My bristlenose ancistrus(sp) love it , Ignored all the caves I bought and burrowed their own one even under one of the caves,lol. Snuffy317
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
You could go with black instead. Far less messy than play sand and makes plants and fish pop!

I have black diamond blasting sand, bought it for $5 I think and it looks fine.
Here's a thread on it to see what it looks like.
http://https://www.plantedtank.net/fo...d.php?t=153192
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Algae Grower

Quickrete premium play sand

This is what it looks like----
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fish pics 012.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	56189  

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yea that is the color I would like to find. I am going to check a couple other places to see if they have the tan colored sand and not the greyish color. The normal tan colored sand seems more natural to me.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Yea that is the color I would like to find. I am going to check a couple other places to see if they have the tan colored sand and not the greyish color. The normal tan colored sand seems more natural to me.
If you can't find the tan color you're looking for, golfer, you might want to consider the off white, which I feel looks pretty natural - to me at least.
Langley Bi-Water on the Langley By-Pass (Hwy #10 near 206th or 207th Ave.) has this one:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...ul/lolliblues2

I feel the fish & plant colors really stand out against the white - and it gives the tank a nice bright look and feel.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the pictures and info. So it isn't too white looking?

It seems to have a mix of white and tan colors? Your tank looks great and yea the lighter color with the plants is pretty cool.

What is the brand name of the pool filter sand?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the pictures and info. So it isn't too white looking?

It seems to have a mix of white and tan colors? Your tank looks great and yea the lighter color with the plants is pretty cool.

What is the brand name of the pool filter sand?
It's a generic, no-name brand - nothing on the package to identify it.
But it's the only PFS that Langley Bi-Water has and sells, and it is a great substrate. Been using it for years. It is a good density - #20 grade.

Clean, no dust, dirt or grime - needs no rinsing - will not cloud the water.
Grows plants well using root tab ferts. Will not free-float into the water column when disturbed, nor get into filter impeller assemblies to clog them up, nor will it get siphoned out when using a standard vacuum tube.
I wouldn't be without it. It's great.

Does it look too white for you ? - It doesn't to me.
The pics are pretty good - shows the coloration quite true to life - as it really appears.

Last edited by discuspaul; 10-31-2012 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Adding some comments.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode