Substrate under or over gravel? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Substrate under or over gravel?

I recently started a planted tank and although things are goin well, I'm considering changing my gravel only bottom, to a natural dark earthy substrate. (poor planning) Can I just take out half my gravel and add the substrate on top? I'm new at planted tanks and would appreciate any advice.

Steward of the Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 07:54 PM
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Depends on your substrate of choice, what are you planning on using?

hi
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I haven't really decided yet. I want something thats got a smaller gauge than my gravel and thats more natural looking. I saw different varieties at my local aquaria store. I don't know much about them and just want something that will be really good for my plants and fish and give my tank a nice natural look. Right now I've got a mix of brown toned gravel and it looks more like a tank and less like the natural bottom I would like. Is there anything you would recommend? I'm not really huge on the white sand, was thinking darker like blackish brown...peat?

Steward of the Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Or should I stay the chosen course because it been nearly two months and my plants and fish are doing really well...

Steward of the Tank
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 08:19 PM
AVN
Wannabe Guru

It all depends on what you want to do, if you're getting good growth out of inert gravel without dosing (I assume you don't add any ferts) then you'd more than likely get better growth if you replaced it with organic substrate, or began supplementing macro and micro nutrients. Either way your plants will run out of nutrients soon and you'll need to replace them.

Dirted tanks provide a natural look and low-cost nutrients that will last 6-12 months. Whereas sand or gravel tanks have no organics and cannot hold many organics, they are however, cleaner. You can supplement the lack of nutrients with several dosing methods, which can be rather cheap or rather costly depending on what method you use.

All of my planted tanks use Mineralized Top Soil with a gravel or sand cap on top to keep it from flying into the water column. I also supplement by dosing once a week. In my experience I have NEVER had a dirt tank that didn't get murky as hell. I've always needed a cap.

Coincidentally all of my tanks look like riverbeds. Soil, sand, pebbles, driftwood, plants.

I really want to discourage you from using nothing but dirt as a substrate, but it's the most earthy look you can go for. Mainly because you will regret putting the dirt in there without something on top, but also because you'll kick up all the dirt after it settles while planting, hell, even your fish could kick up a nice cloud.

hi

Last edited by AVN; 10-28-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: moar stuff
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think that the mineralized soil with small gravel on top is what i want. I have been supplimenting with flourish comprehensive and iron, but ideally I would like the plants to be able to root in a nice substrate. Is eco-complete a mineralized soil?

Steward of the Tank
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 08:37 PM
AVN
Wannabe Guru

Just remember you might have to commit to tearing down the entire tank and rescaping it! Changing substrates kind of requires you do a full if not substantial rescape!

Don't confuse prepackaged substrates with MTS.

Substrates that come from companies already have nutrients and minerals mixed in, they're good to go. Just wash and dump.

MTS is when you buy your own soil, which has nutrients in it, and you add clay for CEC and other minerals to supplement.

Making your own MTS is much more cost effective than buying bags of substrate, (perhaps even twice as efficient) at least when it comes to larger tanks.

Here are some very informative links.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=153412

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=152027

hi
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ya thats what I'm debating. I don't mind the work but I don't want to stress any of my minions. I think it will be worth it in the long run. Do you know if I have to cycle the water at all before I add my plants and fish again?

Steward of the Tank
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 08:48 PM
AVN
Wannabe Guru

I was hoping you would ask that. I was already thinking of an answer!

There's a trick to skipping the cycling of your tank again, all you need to do is preserve the life of the bacteria in your filter and in your gravel.

When you remove the gravel, try to keep it in a bucket with your tank water, not chlorinated tap water or you'll kill them all.

After you put your substrate of choice, whatever it may be, on the bottom of your tank, you can cap it with your gravel, the bacteria from that will spread slowly into the bottom of your tank again.

Remember, NO CHLORINE!

hi
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Awesome. Thx for the help. I'll post new pictures once I've done the work.
I think I'm going to use eco-complete since my tank isn't very big

Steward of the Tank
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 09:08 PM
AVN
Wannabe Guru

Glad I could help. Eco-complete is a good choice!

Post a journal so we can all see your progress.

hi
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I will post it in my tank profile as a journal w pics. I'm confident that this will be best in the long run. Thx again

Steward of the Tank
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Algae Grower

Just watching

I like to DIY
Just another Guy that can't spell worth a D#%&^

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 04:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Hello Elcaspar, wouldn't use Eco Complete if you plan on having small cory's at any point I have just moved my corydorus hodorus to another tank because they lost there barbels in eco complete.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode