MGOPS and Pool Filter Sand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question MGOPS and Pool Filter Sand

I am looking at re-doing my tank which currently has regular aquarium gravel. I started out with that and fake plants a month ago and since I came across this forum I have decided it needs to get planted!

I brought this up in another forum but maybe this is a better spot. I am planning to take my 7 little fish out, put them in a container with aquarium water and redo the scape of the tank.

I was planning to use MGOPS and a cap of pool filter sand (I think). Somebody mentioned that when I do this I won't be able to add the fish back immediately because of the MGOPS giving off ammonia or something.

Has anyone had any experience with this? How long would I have to wait to put the fish back into the tank?

PS: the only parts I will be changing are the substrate and plants (fake to real)....the filter, the biomax etc I have in the back of the tank (its an equeon evolve 8 tank) are staying in the tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
MGOPS contains livestock manure so that causes ammonia problems big time for a week or two.

Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Mix is my choice for bagged dirt.

1.5 to 2" placed in the tank dry, press the palm of your hand down with firm pressure and measure.
1 to 1.5" of capping material. I try for 3" total depth.
My journal threads have the setup info on what I've done on the first page or two if you care to take a peak. Any with dirt in the title.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
+1 on what wkndracer said. Lowes has a knock off brand that has the poultry byproducts just like the MGOCPM for half the price $6 something compared to $13 something. For a cap I went with quickrete premiun play sand, all ready screened and rinsed for $ 3 something a bag. I should have got another bag to top off with, a few thin spots of cap where the soil is turning the sand dark. Once I got my co2 dialed up high enough for my light things are really taking off.
Snuffy317

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So there is a difference between the potting soil and the potting mix?!

MGOPS vs MGOPM

I just looked and I have the potting mix....I assumed (and still do) that the soil and mix would be interchangeable!?!?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer_d View Post
So there is a difference between the potting soil and the potting mix?!

MGOPS vs MGOPM

I just looked and I have the potting mix....I assumed (and still do) that the soil and mix would be interchangeable!?!?

Yes there is a difference between the two. I would avoid the SOIL and opt for the MIX. The chicken manure in the SOIL will play hell on your parameters and I have noticed there is a significant increase in trapped gas pockets when using the SOIL.

Born to fish, forced to work, but only have time for work, family, and my aquarium.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
The mix is the one with chicken, the soil has the livestock manure. Snuffy317
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

In any case, there will be an ammonia spike for a period of time because of the animal manure in the bag?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer_d View Post
In any case, there will be an ammonia spike for a period of time because of the animal manure in the bag?

Snuffy is correct. The MIX is the one with the chicken manure but it is still the one you want to use.

There will be an ammonia spike as with any new new setup but that is what cycling is for. Once your ammonia numbers come down you should be good to add fauna.

Born to fish, forced to work, but only have time for work, family, and my aquarium.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the info!

I will just transfer my fish to another tank and hope they are ok in there while I make these changes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode