Aquasoil - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Aquasoil

Do aquasoils such as Amazonia and Fluvals plant stratum release enough ammonia to be detrimental to livestock?

If so does this dissipate over time when the tank is fully established?

"Those dancing were thought to be crazy by those who could not hear the music."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Amazonia does. Usually takes 3-5 weeks or it to stop ime. Can't tell you about fluval though
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Can you pick the stuff up at like petsmart or local stores? I would just order it off ebay, but I dont know how much I would need for my 55g nor do I want to pay shipping for something I can just go pick up down the street.

Last edited by Aquahollics; 10-23-2012 at 03:08 AM. Reason: changed info

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquahollics View Post
Can you pick the stuff up at like petsmart or local stores? I would just order it off ebay, but I dont know how much I would need for my 55g nor do I want to pay shipping for something I can just go pick up down the street.
I believe there is a calculator here that'll tell you how many pounds of substrate you'll need. Petco/petsmart do not carry any ADA products because it's too expensive. Some LFS will be stocked with ADA products but you should call ahead of time to make sure.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 04:06 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
What are you planning to use it for?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 04:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
You can get Fluval Stratum online at amazon often for free shipping. However it provides almost zero buffering capabilities

I'd go with ADA Aquasoil, ordering from AFA might be your best bet. Or call up your LFS's

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahoo View Post
I believe there is a calculator here that'll tell you how many pounds of substrate you'll need. Petco/petsmart do not carry any ADA products because it's too expensive. Some LFS will be stocked with ADA products but you should call ahead of time to make sure.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.
Where's is this calculator you speak of? With that being the case I will just order Amazonia online... I only need enough to fill the space around and in between the rock and manzanita for my HC dsm and eventually some needle leaf java. You think a 4.4lb bag would be enough?

Last edited by Aquahollics; 10-23-2012 at 07:30 AM. Reason: changed info
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Aqua, No one in colorado stocks ADA anymore. an if they do I havent found them yet. Your best bet is to go with an aquaforest order.

But I have been informed it is not a good idea to use it with discus. I dont know if you have kept them before but they will make a mess of the soil, so I have been told. I am going to redo my 55 and just use my current eco complete, black sand mix for the tank. less headaches i think in the long run.

Curt

So Many Hobbies... So Little Time...

EHEIM #524 CLASSIC 2217, AUTO FEEDER

20H Shrimp Tank:
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Aquasoil is sold by the liter 9 liters is a little big bigger than a 20lb bag of fluorite. Just google aquarium substrate calculator and it will have the spot to put in the footprint of the tank and convert liters to inches to get an approximate of how many bags you need
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I was comming up with about 6 for a 3" depth in my 55. I think we just wants to cap his sand if I am not mistaken so I would say 2-3 bags would be more then enough.

Curt

So Many Hobbies... So Little Time...

EHEIM #524 CLASSIC 2217, AUTO FEEDER

20H Shrimp Tank:
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just ordered one 4.4lb bag of fluval online for $15... I have nothing but time so if it's not enough ill just order more. Aye, I was just planning on putting a 3-4'' layer of the aquasoil inbetween and around the rock in the picture just for the HC carpet and some needle leaf java. The rest will be sand.

I am planning on introducing discus Curt, but before I do the tank will have been well established by then with a dsm HC carpet. Not too worried about them digging up the soil at that point. I have kept discus in the past, of course that was in a hardscaped tank with sand lol...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode