Saf t sorb!!!????!!!!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/91%)
Saf t sorb!!!????!!!!!!

Hello,
How in the hell do you get the dust rinsed out of this stuff!! It seems the money you save on the purchase is wasted on the water and time to rinse it!! Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (82/100%)
What is this stuff you speak of? Pics? Who makes it?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
You don't have to get all of it off, as it eventually settles.

If you use the search function and seek out Safe T Sorb/STS, you'll find several threads wherein people discuss their methods of cleaning STS. Everything from just cutting a hole in the bag and sticking a garden hose in to straining it to rinsing in a bucket to rinsing in-tank.

Remember, it's clay so you're never going to get all of it off. Just try to get most of the nuisance stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
haha it's cheaper but it's "flourite like"

I tag a section of fiberglass window screen between 2 saw horses and rinse 1/2 a bag at a time with a hose

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
wash it 2-3 times in a bucket. empty water while stirring. place it in your tank and run your filter with filter floss. After about 24-48 hours stop the filter and toss the floss. water should be clear.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I used this method. Didnt even wash it first
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-XB0...eature=related
How to clean new aquariumsand the easy way.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/91%)
You used this method with saf t sorb??
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've done it with sand, Safe T Sorb, Oil Dri, and Flourite.

I use a 2 liter bottle with its larger mouth though.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ha! that's pretty clever. certainly looks a lot less tedious then the old swishing-around-in-a-bucket bit.

Thanks for posting that link.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I did not find it too dusty. Perhaps bags vary.
I put the whole bag (40 lbs) in the tank (88 gallons).
Filled the tank only about 6" deep, stirring to make the most mess possible.
Then drained that muddy slurry. It was pink-brown pea soup.
Refilled about 6" and again stirred to make the most mess possible. It was noticeably less muddy.
Drained it.
Then I refilled for real.
I used the plastic bag the STS came in and ran the water in slowly over the bag so it seeped gently into the substrate.
There was a slight haze, but nothing that I would not have put fish into. It was gone the next day.
2 days later I cleaned the filters and there was a significant amount of silt in the filters.
A week or so later I moved a lot of substrate around 'scaping, and stirred up a slight haze, but it was surprisingly clean. I did a water change when I was done setting up the rocks, and cleaned the filters the next day. Very little silt. Some, but not much.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 08:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Sts

I think the bags vary on dustiness, or I got one filled on friday after lunch,lol.
I used a large steel mesh pencil/pen holder and rinsed, what seemed to be forever. I was almost ready to quit, said screw this and put it in the tank. Was very careful and slow, the cloudiest mess I've ever seen. Got hob running and waited, cleaned hob pad(was very slimey and full) put pad back in and went to bed. The next morning it was crystal clear, moved a few things in the tank and it clouds up some but settles quickly. Now that its clear, I think its beautiful, pretty darn hard to see peewee red cherry shrimp on it, but it looks very good. Snuffy317
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fish pics 024.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	56218  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fish pics 025.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	56219  

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 09:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagerl View Post
I used this method. Didnt even wash it first
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-XB0...eature=related
How to clean new aquariumsand the easy way.
Wow, I have some BBA infested STS in the front of my tank. I'm going to suck it out and replace it with this method. Since STS is so cheap, I can just toss the old infested stuff. The bottle will be good for poring it in between planted sections.

Thanks for this link.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
you guys are lucky to get your hands on this stuff. its not available anywhere in NYC.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
I would have to say it will depend on the bag as well. I hardly had to rinse it all.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
You should be able to have it shipped (total price under $10) from Drill Spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
you guys are lucky to get your hands on this stuff. its not available anywhere in NYC.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode