sand to flourite? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
sand to flourite?

So i have been having problems with my plants melting. I think one of my biggest problems is that I put just sand in as the substrate. I was thinking about changing it out for maybe flourite. Any opinions? Also how easy would this be to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 02:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Did you use root tabs? Sand isn't great to you it doesn't hold and release nutrients to the roots of the plants like other substrates do. Ortherwise known as CEC. It should not be difficult, but depending on substrate some elevate and other lower your ph so you might be waiting a while.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I did use root tabs and still no luck. I feel like everything is dying. And its quite frustrating. I originally wanted to use flourite and at the last minute changed my mind to sand. I used seachem root tabs.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
What's your water parameters?

You can do fine with just sand. Root tabs and liquid dosing will feed the plants. Flourite has no ferts whatsoever, so you'll still need to dose.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer

Last edited by Monster Fish; 10-22-2012 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Added something
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ph is about 7.4
Ammonia nitrite and nitrate Are 0 (yes I know this is bad for plants but I'm dosing pmdd and need to test again)
I don't remember Kh and Gh
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Keep the nitrates, phosphates, and potassium up. I think your melting plants are due to your lack of nutrients. A lot of people can grow plants just fine with sand. You just need to add root tabs and dose the water column.

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'd agree, it's probably lack of nutrients.

I have pea gravel and didn't have any intent for plants when it was set up. I recently planted Amazon swords and rotala in the gravel and they are growing new leaves and taller within the last 2 weeks but last week I was away from the office so the plants are suffering from no dosing for over 10 days especiallyh the swords having brown spots on them.

I only dose and have no root tabs, it could be all that mulm in the gravel.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
the tank in my sig is sand, any plant i put in the tank does well. i had been dosing liquid ferts but began to have alge problems so i stopped. the only thing i do is dose root tabs.

one thing that has not been asked is what is your lighting situation, what kind, for how long, how high off the substrate is your light. also how old is the tank? as my tank has aged i have needed less and less root tabs. i am guessing your tank is relativly new?

Will

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on Facebook.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes the tank is new. It's about 3 months now. I do have root tabs. The seachem root tabs. But I really don't feel like they are doing much. The tank is a 26 gal bowfront. The light is a t5ho. My original thought was it was the light causing all the problems. So I took 1 bulb out. It's currently running 1 zoomed flora bulb 24 watts. I think its about 18 inches off the substrate. I'll check in a little. I'm also still fighting the Brown algae or diatoms. Can't get rid of them for anything. I have been using the pmdd for about a week now. 3ml per day for abiut a week now. I'm gonna do a water change today. Should i be using a different root tab maybe?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The root tabs are fine. What kind of plants do you have? Diatoms/brown algae are normal in newly setup tanks. If you hate the look of them, get some otos.

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I would add your second light back in. Also I have grown plants in sand no problem so it is probably a mixture of things going on. How often are you doing a water change? an What plants are going in. It could be your plants were grown emersed and are changing to submerged growth as well. any Pics?

Curt

So Many Hobbies... So Little Time...

EHEIM #524 CLASSIC 2217, AUTO FEEDER

20H Shrimp Tank:
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Haha monster I actually have 4 otos in the tank. All of them have nice round bellys. Well fed. I don't add any food to the tank. So they must be eating something.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I actually don't really know what plants I have. I have a crypt and a few really small swords but other than that its all a guessing game to me. I'll try putting the second light back in. For a while i was doing a water change once a week to try and cut back on the Brown algae. But I let it go this time to try and see if it would help correct itself.

Everything is everywhere to try and just get it all to grow. This was a week or 2 ago. That plant with the pink top in between the rock and the driftwood is gone. It all melted.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've noticed in the earlier trial and errors that lights and ferts without a carbon source like Excel or injecting co2 would result in melted plants. Only moss, anubias, ferns would grow and even more when I started using Excel.

Are you using Excel or co2? If not, how long is your lights on?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I would be willing to bet on a lighting issue to be honest. And crypts do have a tendency to melt and come back.

Curt

So Many Hobbies... So Little Time...

EHEIM #524 CLASSIC 2217, AUTO FEEDER

20H Shrimp Tank:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode