Wiped. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Wiped.

Wiped.

Last edited by AVN; 10-22-2013 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Wiped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
use a diatom filter , or use seachem purigen in your filter , should clear it up in no time .please put up pics when you are finished , I would love to have 300g planted , what an awesome tank you are gonna have

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Why is my tank never big enough
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would put some seachem clarity in and let it settle for a day or two then drain and cap.
Edit: no water movement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1239 View Post
let it settle for a day or two then drain and cap.
Edit: no water movement
+1 and gotta luv helping hands

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think capping and planting with the water in it will be really difficult.

Maybe throw some sort of prefilter (old filter bag, aquarium sponge, whatever) over the end of a hose and siphon out as much water as you can. -assuming you have a gutter/yard/nearby drain where you can just get the siphon started and then walk away for a while.

once it's down to just a bit of soup in the bottom, you can probably cap it fairly easy, and plant and refill. (is a bit of a waste of water, though...)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
AVN
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the advice guys, I will run out and get some Purigen tomorrow. I have pics up, the link is in my signature.

I was hoping it wouldn't come to lowering the water, but I kind of knew that I had to do it! I'll try to clear the water and cap it using a slow underwater sand drip funnel, if that doesn't work I'll just drain it.

hi
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Dude save don't go out and buy chemicals, save your money for plants.

Walk away and let it settle over night. Drain it down, Cap & plant.

I would drain it down to true bottom glass. Get the water down to 1" above the dirt. Them put you syphon hose in one corner, you'll pull out a little MTS with the water in the corner but eventually you'll get to the bottom. Once all the water's out refill that corner with MTS. Now cap.

Sure you can mess around bring to cap it with water and it will take 2Xs as long and be a royal mess...for what to save some water? Just deal with the drain down. It will be much faster and clean fix.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
AVN
Wannabe Guru

It's been two days (I posted the night after it happened to see if it would settle a bit overnight) and it hasn't settled an inch. I guess I will just drain it, kind of sucks though, most of that water was already cycled because I brought it over from another tank.

I'll have to shut down the outdoor green algae tub in order to skip the cycling of this tank.

hi
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVN View Post
It's been two days (I posted the night after it happened to see if it would settle a bit overnight) and it hasn't settled an inch. I guess I will just drain it, kind of sucks though, most of that water was already cycled because I brought it over from another tank.

I'll have to shut down the outdoor green algae tub in order to skip the cycling of this tank.

Anything floating after two days you don't want in there anyway. Water holds very little beneficial bacteria. The bacterial culture in the tank is on the glass and the surface 1/8" to 1/4" of MTS surface area.

So don't wipe down the inside glass. There will also bennifical bacteria on the plants you will put in the tank. The removal of the water really isn't an issue.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you are really concerned with saving the water, you could just drain the bulk of it off into buckets/tubs, and let it continue to settle while you cap and plant.

If you don't have containers big or numerous enough dig a hole in the ground/make a temporary pond out of sand bags or something, and stick a big tarp/trashbags in it.

And yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about cycled water. - the plants will handle a fair bit of filtration, and you can stick in some cheap quick-growing floaters to help with the excess in the beginning.

transplanting some of the sediment or filter material (not all, - you don't want your old tank to have to re-cycle) would be much more useful for kickstarting the bacterial colonies than using old water.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
AVN
Wannabe Guru

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I put in a bunch of green water along with the sediment from cycled tanks. Tests show that ammonia is being cycled after just three days. I successfully transferred enough bacteria to skip starting the cycle in a 300g, sweet.

My issue is resolved! Please don't bump this thread!

hi
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
Establishing bacteria will have little to do with saving the water and more with allowing bacteria time to spread over surface areas, as noted above.

I have always been amused by the concept of saving water from tanks. Better to hang on to some established filter media, plants from an established tank, driftwood, anything with good surface area. All of that is infinitely easier for getting bacteria into a new tank.

Last edited by wheatiesl337; 10-25-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: grammars
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
AVN
Wannabe Guru

I only wanted the water because it takes a long time to fill up a 300g with my teeny RO dispenser. It also helps that the water has ammonia in it.

As stated in my siggy thread, I used old gravel and filters from other tanks for bacteria, while relying on cycled water to avoid having to spend a long time refilling or dechlorinating.

hi

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode