Mineralized MGOPS HELP!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mineralized MGOPS HELP!!!

I bought a bag of MGOPS for my tank and I have started the mineralizing process. I soaked it once, scooped all the floaters (there were tons of them) off the surface and dried it out. I am on my second 2 day soak but I just tried to dump out the floaters and water and it seems all the soil is in suspension as well. So in essence I am just dumping out the soil with the water. Am I doing something wrong? Any and all tips will be greatly appreciated! thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 03:59 PM
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I'm in the process of mineralizing three bags. I didn't scoop out any floaters. I rinsed initially, drained excess water via small buckets by skimming the surface, and left the floaters. There was 2 inches of floaters on the surface.

After I let it sit for 3 days, I stirred the top and most of the floaters sank to the very bottom, only tiny particles remained on top. Again, I skimmed those out and let it sit.

After 5 days the material suspended in the water sank, this is when I lowered the water level down all the way and began mixing in my minerals and clay.

I suggest you just have some patience, unless you need the MTS RIGHT AWAY it's best to just let it sit.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was under the impression that the floaters would add too much organics to the tank? is this not the case?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:27 PM
AVN
Wannabe Guru

Floaters generally tend to be decomposing wood, so yeah they would add too many organics if you allowed them to decompose in your tank.

I however, am allowing them to decompose in the tub I am using to mineralize the soil. The tank in question won't be set up for weeks, so I'm allowing for the decomposition and processing of organics and ammonia before I begin even cycling the tank. Kind of like cycling the soil.

All I did was leave a bunch of established filter sponges floating in there. I tested every three days these past two weeks and the levels of dissolved organics is through the freaking roof. I would not want to be a fish in there, it might just be instant death.

However, it's clear the bacteria are developing, as the ammonia levels spike up and down but generally lean toward decreasing slowly.

I don't know if this is the approved method of doing things, but it's worked for me many times before. I find the greatest benefit of pre-cycling is that it eliminates the initial algae bloom when using rich mineralized soil.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Trying to mineralize MGOPS is hopeless. It is too full of organics and would take way, way, way too long to become mineralized. Plus by the time you got there you would have a very small fraction of the bag left.

When mineralizing soil you should be using the cheapest top soil you can find, something as close to "dirt" as possible, as opposed to a mixture of many organic components such as Peat, Compost, Loam, Manure, Wood etc, etc. such as you what you find in MGOPS.

People who use MGOPS in their tanks do not mineralize it they just dump it in and cap it.

Over the summer I have been trying to mineralize a cheap top soil but I have had a hell of a time breaking it down as it still contained too much organics. I can only imagine the trouble you will have trying to do this with MGOPS.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetrelief View Post
I was under the impression that the floaters would add too much organics to the tank? is this not the case?
No it's not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVN View Post
Floaters generally tend to be decomposing wood, so yeah they would add too many organics if you allowed them to decompose in your tank.
I don't know if this is the approved method of doing things, but it's worked for me many times before. I find the greatest benefit of pre-cycling is that it eliminates the initial algae bloom when using rich mineralized soil.
Making a mess why?
Making MTS and using these products high in organic content is a mix of methods (imo). Just cheap top soil is the base used for MTS by most using that method.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=152027

MGOPS (potting soil) contains cow manure.
MGOCPM (potting mix) both contain soil and a large portion of organic material (55-65% by volume). Sphagnum peat moss and composted bark fines, leaves, twigs, wood chips etc. and "pasteurized poultry litter" (cooked chicken crap).

I have repeatedly tanked this material straight from the bag to the tank without earth shattering, life ending drama. Algae has yet to ruin a tank here either. Controlling algae is as simple as controlling the light energy supplied and planting the tank within a day or two of flooding it. I do like adding frogbit starting out for the dual benefit of light control and the way this plant removes any leaching nutrients from the water column early on.

Straight from bag to tank I've done a dozen systems this way so I don't see the concerns mentioned above over organics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 06:27 PM
AVN
Wannabe Guru

I didn't quite get it either, but I answered as best I could. I'm mixing two bags of topsoil with a bag of clean fill dirt and some fill dirt from a hole I dug, mixed with clay I don't see how that wouldn't get mineralized.

I know that it's already good to go, I was just adding adding clay to increase the cec and provide a firmer substrate that would allow it to stay heavy when replanting.

It's not really a mess at all, I let everything settle before getting the water out. everything from the bag stays in the tub, except for the tiny particles that float on the bubbles/foam on the surface. The clay mixes well and holds it all at the bottom.

I'm at the point now where everything has mixed and settled, and I have lowered the water to 1 inch above the surface, now I'm going to let the sun dry it out while aging the mixture, even though I have no idea what might happen!

I've been testing the water at the surface and it's crazy high, as expected right? Week 2 and the parameters are as they should be, but slowly declining, mind, the change is nothing compared to the real concentration of ammonia, nitrates, etc. but it's a decrease.

Last edited by AVN; 10-16-2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: dqlkdopj23i9dnmfiownio32n
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I see. I was under the impression that I had to mineralize it. (got that from a source not on here)

Thanks for the great info everyone! Cleared up a lot of confusion on my end.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Mineralized topsoil is not the same as Miracle Gro soil used straight from the bag. They are two different types of substrate. From reading here over the past year or so I have noticed that some people don't like their experience with soil substrates, of either type. That is usually because they want or need to pull up plants and replant them often enough that the resulting cloud of dirt in the water bothers them. Others notice bubbles popping out of the substrate regularly, probably made up in part of hydrogen sulfide from decomposition of organics in the substrate (my experience with slightly mineralized cheap topsoil). No substrate is perfect, including these two types of soil substrates.

Hoppy
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 10:02 PM
AVN
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, after rereading what was said I found out it was just lack of information on my side.

I don't have any MGOPS. (Miracle Gro Orangic Potting Soil?)

I am mineralizing topsoil and fill dirt.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
........I have repeatedly tanked this material straight from the bag to the tank without earth shattering, life ending drama. Algae has yet to ruin a tank here either.....

What, the Sky isn't falling? There is no Anaerobic Apocalypse?? Plants really grow in DIRT???

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 10:47 PM
AVN
Wannabe Guru

I never plant densely enough to compete with algae... I have to resort to twiddling with the Co2 and lights. :3
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVN View Post
I never plant densely enough to compete with algae... I have to resort to twiddling with the Co2 and lights. :3
get in control of the tank lighting adjust the power or the photo period.

2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
What, the Sky isn't falling? There is no Anaerobic Apocalypse?? Plants really grow in DIRT???

Hush you! (don't get me started --- again LOL)

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot
When I get a house I really want to try this. I really want a "root feeder" tank with crypts, swords, and any other plants like them.

Proudly Served in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode