Eco-complete+ dirt - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eco-complete+ dirt

Hi all. I'm planning to re-do my 30gal tank but dont want to spend a fortune on Eco-complete.
So, has anyone used Eco-complete with dirt?
I was thinking to use a layer of dirt and cover it with Eco-complete.
Would that be a good idea? Anything to watch out for? I alredy have a planted dirt/sand cap tank, I just like the look of EC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 11:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot
No I don't see any problem at all. I used it in one of my tanks no zero problems.

Proudly Served in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 11:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
don't do it, you'll be sorry. eco-comeplete is not a great cap for dirt. Its too light and there are too many larger sized grains. THe dirt will eventually start to escape the cap and settle on top. it happened to me and it was bad... tank was dirty for weeks. I had to siphon it out little by little so I wouldnt stress my fish. Do yourself a favor and get some small grain size gravel. between 1-3 mm.

Unless your planning to dump more than 4 inches of cap I wouldnt do it. also, if your cap is too deep you could end up with pockets of anaerobic substrate which if released will kill your livestock. be careful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 04:11 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have a 20 long that has been running for a few months with mts and an eco cap. So far, I have had no problems and the plants love it. Occasionally, I have bubbles release from the substrate but my fish have been fine.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the advice guys. I still haven't decided but I think I'll stick with tested dirt and cap it with black quartz sand. I would prefer to avoid any problems what so ever.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode