lions and tigers and eco-complete oh my - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
lions and tigers and eco-complete oh my

The aquascape design in our 75 gal tank is just the way we want it, but our fish disagree!
I have a dry tank sitting around 120g(48x18x32) I'm going to move the aquascape and livestock from the 75 and then we can use the 75 for another project. Of coarse in hindsight I should have anticipated this and used this tank then, but ehh.

We thought eco complete looked nice and would be better than a black sand cap.I think I like flourite black better but can't find it local. So after realizing that it would cost hundreds to fill with an eco only substrate the cheap in me kicked in. Right now it has mts capped w/ flourite orig. And a hint of black sand mixxed in. I figured why not scrape the flourite into pales take some of the mts and make a thin layer and top with the used flourite then cap with eco complete.

Here's the issue the bag says right on it clearly (read it after buying!) Placing this over or "capping" and established bed can be damaging to aquatic life. Ugg. So has any one tried this? I only want like a 1" layer. I suppose it could cause a bacterial disturbance. The plan was to do this little project in one day. Being the tank will be heavilly planted with in 4 hrs of capping will that make a difference.the present substrate isn't quite a year old yet.
The eco complete in the bag looks nothing like the pictures. It's quite hard feeling. Did I just buy water at $1 a lbs? Any thoughts.... I've never used e.c. before. Do you think that the negative effects "damage" would occur in this situation? Would using another black sub have the same issue? Should I just not be cheap and buy all new?
Thanks in advance for any advise.
Btw yes I am aware that I can buy black diamond here.not what I want

Last edited by TheFoleys; 10-12-2012 at 03:40 AM. Reason: im retarded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 02:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Eco complete has a pore structure like lava rock..

the bacterial colony lives in the gravel, not so much your filter, so just be careful if youre hoghly stocked.

I cap and add sand/clay to tanks regularly

But.. what really got me is that you dont want to use blasting grit.. do you mind if I ask why?
I am using it in over a half dozen tanks right now and have about 30lbs ready to go whenever. I keep corydoras, a dragon goby and a banjo cat (to name a few) who all dig/burrow in the stuff without problems.

On top of that, it looks like a duller crushed obsidian rock. When yook closer, most of its like glass and either green or amber in tint.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

We have sand caps in several other tanks. I'm looking for a more large grain finish. I suppose I could throw a mini bag of black pea gravel on black diamond.
So you have added like a 1" cap to an established substrate before. I don't think I've ever needed to do so before. What is the validity of this warning they give if any? Have you ever mixed flourite and eco before do they displace and mix or can they be layered?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

This Is what concerns me. I've never heard of it before. don't want to make a toxic environment. Thing that stinks is is their are 17 pet stores with in a 45min range the only two stores that had it in stock where like 1-1.5hr away. There is a tractorsupply outlet not too far from the place I got the eco. If I have to start fresh maybe I will try it..... I was looking to be quik without rinsing.... Being I have to set up 10gal holding tanks for the fish. So that's why I got the eco also. My wife just mentioned that we did add more sand to a tank once needed it deeper for a big rooting plant. So maybe I shouldn't worry and continue as planned? I wanted to do this Saturday.

Last edited by TheFoleys; 10-12-2012 at 03:38 AM. Reason: blabla
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just realized I put this in the lighting instead of substrate sub forum...
Probably would get more help in the right section. Should I pm a mod? Wouldn't want to bug anybody. I was pretty tired when I made the thread last night
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Planted Member

Lol I was thinking, "man I need some more coffee this morning I thought I clicked on lighting."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Completely ignore everything on the bag of Eco-Complete. Just pour it into a bucket, rinse it and add it to your tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFoleys View Post
This Is what concerns me. I've never heard of it before. don't want to make a toxic environment. Thing that stinks is is their are 17 pet stores with in a 45min range the only two stores that had it in stock where like 1-1.5hr away. There is a tractorsupply outlet not too far from the place I got the eco. If I have to start fresh maybe I will try it..... I was looking to be quik without rinsing.... Being I have to set up 10gal holding tanks for the fish. So that's why I got the eco also. My wife just mentioned that we did add more sand to a tank once needed it deeper for a big rooting plant. So maybe I shouldn't worry and continue as planned? I wanted to do this Saturday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Completely ignore everything on the bag of Eco-Complete. Just pour it into a bucket, rinse it and add it to your tank.
So then as far as topping off an established (old) substrate with a none established (new) cap regardless of the brand you feel their is no concern. I don't think their is either... But I would like to know the theory behind the idea. I've searched and found nothing... Maybe they made it up to get people to buy more bags? Could it be a bacterial die off by changing access to o2 and surface buildup. Seems like a statement like that would have to have some reasoning. I'm gonna doit anyway but still curious. Being I've never heard such a claim before.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
There is no concern. Just rinse it. The claims they make on the packaging are borderline bogus. Even their North American sales manager says so (search the forum for those details).

That said, it's a terrific substrate. It just doesn't contain anything.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the info.
I did a test with some well rinsed sand in another tank that is small. Isaw no change in anything. Been a few days no hydrogen sulfur smell or release when poked.
Sorry for the paranoia

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode