Replacing substrate, how to go about it? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Replacing substrate, how to go about it?

Hey guys,

As it says, I'm replacing the substrate in my Fluval spec.

The overall goal is to get my PH down, use a more attractive substrate, change the tank up. All to 1 make me happy, 2 hopefully keep some CRS shrimp.

My questions are... How long should I wait before reintroducing shrimp, or crystals. Do I have to wait months again (for biofilm), or just until it seems like my cycle is established then I can readd shrimp?

Also, I'm not going to do this if it is a 100% chance I'm ruining my cycle. In the spec, I think a lot of the bacteria colonized the sump, so my question is what do you think will happen to my bacteria colony.

Thanks for everything.
Mark

From MABJ's iPhone
2G Fluval Spec ~ fauna and flora in the works!

*Retired for now*
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|
|
|
|
|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
There are a lot of bacteria living in the filter (sump or any other sort), as well as on the leaves of plants, on the driftwood, rocks and ceramic merpeople.
You will lose the bacteria that are growing on the substrate, but all the other bacteria recover quickly.
I would do the swap, then do a fishless cycle for a few days to boost the bacteria back up, then you are ready to add shrimp. This will not take long at all, if the tank is well cycled already (were you doing the fishless cycle?)

The plants are also part of the bio filter, and you might not even need to do the fishless cycle to help the bacteria catch up. They might not need to catch up.

Anyway, as long as you keep most of the stuff there is a good population of all the microorganisms in the tank, and it recovers quickly when you swap out the substrate.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
No I have never done a cycle to be honest. I kept a beta for a month, then realized fish stores don't tell you about the nitrogen cycle, I learned about it.

I soon bought ammonia API test kits, only to find the cycle had already finished with Picolo in it. Hey he lived two years, and his bacteria has instant cycled two tanks since.

Thanks for your response. I was hoping I would be able to replace it without issue. I need to clean the thing out too. A lot of debris is at the bottom of the filter, so I think I'll keep the filter in some tank water, clean the tank out completely, do new substrate then wait til I see zero ammonia.

From MABJ's iPhone
2G Fluval Spec ~ fauna and flora in the works!

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|
|
|
|
|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder --

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode