Caribsea naturals - cloudy water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Caribsea naturals - cloudy water

I followed instructions to set up the substrate. I applied the bio magnet and waited, and it's been 3+ hrs and still very cloudy. Will see how it it tmw morning. But in case it remains cloudy, should I do a water change? If so how much?

The filter I use is aqueon 3 stage I believe

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 06:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Did you rinse well before adding? Not just a small rinse when I had mine I rinsed it at least 15 times and it still clouded, but I added the magnet and woke up and it was about 80% clear and when I got back from work about 12 hours later it was fine. Take your filter media out if it is unseeded or else it will mud up.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey

I followed the instruction to "rinse by agitating with a hose" and it said not to rinse too hard that the effluent gets washed

So that's what I did only :S

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And my filter media is seeded
I just swapped out the old substrate and put in the new

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I actually skipped the bio-magnet and just waited. It was fine in a few days, and I did very minimal rinsing due to a persistent lazy streak of mine.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You could do a water change, I would try to do it like this:
Work on as thorough a gravel vac as you can. you are rinsing the substrate again while it is inside the tank. Toward the end dig a bit of a hole in the substrate and remove the water as much as possible from under the substrate, too.

Then refill, and deliberately aim the hose all over the substrate. Stir and mix as much as possible, then drain the tank again. Another rinsing while it is in the tank.

Then, do the real fill:
Arrange the substrate into hills and valleys, add rocks and driftwood, and plant (mist the plants to keep them moist)
Put a plate or plastic bag over the substrate and allow the water to run in slowly and seep over the edge of the plate.

There may be some minor clouding, but as thorough as you can be with the rinsing followed by gently filling in a way that does not stir up the substrate is the best you can do about minimizing the cloudiness. It will likely be ready for you to put the fish back in, since you already have a cycled filter.

Then I would clean the filter. The cloudiness from before may have added a lot of silt to the filter. Rinse the media gently in water with a little dechlor so as not to kill or dislodge the bacteria.
Clean it again in a day or two in case it is picking up more cloudiness from the tank.

If it is too cloudy to add the fish, while you are waiting for the cloudiness to clear keep on feeding the bacteria just like you are doing the fishless cycle.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode