Aquasoil vs Aquasoil & Power Sand - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 672
Aquasoil vs Aquasoil & Power Sand

Just wondering if people on the forum have had experience with either method? Which would be more beneficial? I have a 90 gallon going up....but am concerned about if I have to rescape and the powersand getting everywhere.....not planning on using a lot of crypts or swords....thoughts?
Gafi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Curt_914's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thornton, Colorado
Posts: 397
If your not going to have a ton of root feeders you should be ok just using aquasoil. If your going to have heavy root feeders of any kind the power sand does help imho.

Curt
Curt_914 is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt_914 View Post
If your not going to have a ton of root feeders you should be ok just using aquasoil. If your going to have heavy root feeders of any kind the power sand does help imho.

Curt
Right....my concern is for rescaping....and what the tank will look like if I move plants around
Gafi is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 672
I realize this might spark some good debate here....waiting for Tom Barr to chime in....any of the tests that people have done found any difference in growth rate/longevity?
Gafi is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 672
anyone else wanna chime in here....would like some thoughts before I have to buy this....or decide on Eco-Complete
Gafi is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (84/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 21,015
I know that people have had very good results with ADA Aquasoil, not using Power Sand, so it is certainly a fact that it will work well that way. I don't know if adding the Power
Sand gives a significant improvement. My thought is to go with the simplest setup unless there is a significant benefit to making it more complicated.

Hoppy
Hoppy is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I know that people have had very good results with ADA Aquasoil, not using Power Sand, so it is certainly a fact that it will work well that way. I don't know if adding the Power
Sand gives a significant improvement. My thought is to go with the simplest setup unless there is a significant benefit to making it more complicated.
thank you Hoppy! Any suggestions on substrate depth with the AS? is 3" at the back and like 1.5ish at the front good? Going for dutch style, stems, crypts, and some time of foreground/carpet....unlikely I will have a sword...
Gafi is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
happi's Avatar
 
PTrader: (21/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 3,139
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
you can add some lava rock as a bottom layer and then just add the aqua soil, power sand special is used for same reason, which suppose to help the roots.

there is no need to add any other stuff under the soil, i had great luck growing plants just with aqua soil, nothing else added to it.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
happi is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
you can add some lava rock as a bottom layer and then just add the aqua soil, power sand special is used for same reason, which suppose to help the roots.

there is no need to add any other stuff under the soil, i had great luck growing plants just with aqua soil, nothing else added to it.

I have no problem adding the sand.....the issue is if I have to rescape, I dont want a total mess with powersand on top of my AS....I would rather just have the AS to deal with....just wanted to make sure things were ok with no power sand
Gafi is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: now i know your a stalker ;)
Posts: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gafi View Post
I have no problem adding the sand.....the issue is if I have to rescape, I dont want a total mess with powersand on top of my AS....I would rather just have the AS to deal with....just wanted to make sure things were ok with no power sand
I learned that the hard way aqua soil is all mixed in with my power sand
tetra10 is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra10 View Post
I learned that the hard way aqua soil is all mixed in with my power sand
So, if you did it again....you would go with plain AS?
Gafi is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 672
anyone got suggestions for substrate depth with Aquasoil?
Gafi is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome