Bonsai akadama vs. shrimp tank akadama? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Bonsai akadama vs. shrimp tank akadama?

Is it the same stuff? If not, how do they differ? Thanks.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 02:03 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Same stuff.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 05:43 AM
The Security Dude

PTrader: (116/100%)
Not all is good for fish tanks only drl seems to buffer and hold up over time being submerged. I have tested a couple

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

55 Planted Rummys,2 GBR,8 Corys,4 Discus PFR Culls
Many shrimp tanks

Finnex Pimp #8

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 05:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
The akadama we use for shrimp is double red line brand and it's intended for bonsai use.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 06:09 AM
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
all akadama's are intended for bonsai use (I think).
But Double Red Line is the one can hold up under water the most without crumbling into mush.

|

|
|

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Okay, thanks guys

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

There is different akadama brands tho.
I think Is the same clay from a Japanese lake but different methods to cook it I guess.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
As far as I know, drl akadama is the only one that holds up under water. I am still working on getting more into the states but its not looking good.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

There are several varieties of Akadama that hold up under water, based upon experiences others have shared in various shrimp forums. Double Red Line just appears to hold up the best. It's hit or miss on buffering, however.

It became popular with European and Asian shrimpers because it's cheap and typically available at bonsai shops. In the United States, it's no more affordable than other products that buffer water for extended periods of time unless you can buy it down the street and carry it home. Azoo Plant Grower Bed, for instance, buffers longer and costs not much more.

Nothing looks quite like Akadama, though, not even the lighter ADA products. It's a really great aesthetic in shrimp tanks. I love to use the smaller grain as an accent substrate instead of sand.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
There are several varieties of Akadama that hold up under water, based upon experiences others have shared in various shrimp forums. Double Red Line just appears to hold up the best. It's hit or miss on buffering, however.

It became popular with European and Asian shrimpers because it's cheap and typically available at bonsai shops. In the United States, it's no more affordable than other products that buffer water for extended periods of time unless you can buy it down the street and carry it home. Azoo Plant Grower Bed, for instance, buffers longer and costs not much more.

Nothing looks quite like Akadama, though, not even the lighter ADA products. It's a really great aesthetic in shrimp tanks. I love to use the smaller grain as an accent substrate instead of sand.
May you share the other brands that hold? I'm interested!

Thanks!

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey View Post
May you share the other brands that hold? I'm interested!

Thanks!
I think that what Jake is trying to get at here is that any akadama should do -- akadama is akadama (it all comes from the same sunken, bogged down forests in Japan and is fired/"cooked" in different ways depending on brand). So, if you get any akadama from any bonsai shop, it will do its job in your shrimp tank, and should last a decent amount of time with a negligibly small, overrated gap between it and DRL akadama. Of course the guys selling the DRL akadama are going to give you the impression that the difference in how long they last will be very large.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 11:30 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Not all varieties/brands will do. Many break down really quickly but not all do.

pejerry: No idea on the specifics, as I didn't make serious mental note when browsing the shrimp forums. Google is your friend in this case.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 01:51 PM
mba
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
I just got these two bags from my Bonsai store and he mentioned it is a red line. Not sure if it is going to work for shrimp tank. The soil looks and feel like DRL. It is very hard.

Have anybody uses this type of Akadama soil before? Good or bad?

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mba View Post
I just got these two bags from my Bonsai store and he mentioned it is a red line. Not sure if it is going to work for shrimp tank. The soil looks and feel like DRL. It is very hard.

Have anybody uses this type of Akadama soil before? Good or bad?

From what I understand, this type does not have the same thing that is in DRL and it break down faster. I personally never used it before. That is what I got from website. I also want to know it they are the same. Are you going to try it? Please do let us know.

Please forgive me for my grammar mistakes!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 02:28 PM
mba
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunyang730 View Post
From what I understand, this type does not have the same thing that is in DRL and it break down faster. I personally never used it before. That is what I got from website. I also want to know it they are the same. Are you going to try it? Please do let us know.
Yes, I am planning to try it on my 20G L with only Akadama (fine type) and another 20G L with half Akadama (Med type) and half ADA Aqua soil Amazonia.

Can you refer me to the website where you found the information regarding to the break down of the this type of Akadama soil? I'm just curious.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode