eco complete - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
eco complete

can sombody tell me what this substrate is like,is it a gravel like flourite is it little gravel big gravel?jus thinking of gettn some for a futurer tank and would like to know more about..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Algae Grower

resembles crushed lava rock.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish
Crushed Lava rock. It doesn't have nutrients in it, rather it retains and holds on to them so plants can utilize them. I love the look of it though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
This is what it looks like in my 5G betta tank:

HANdS:
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks good, works good from what I have seen so far....no nutrients, but it does well with grabbing nutrients from the water column, it has good CEC from what I'm aware of
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Test carefully for increased GH and KH before adding sensitive shrimp or plants. I have unexplained increases over tap water after a recent addition.

Getting back to the hobby and up to speed.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Its mainly black, but has some red and brownish/gray rocks mixed in.
It is lava rock, so it is pretty light. Go for a deep bed of substrate, i have a pico with about an inch of eco, and it doesnt hold the plants great. My 10g with 2-3" of eco holds plants much much better.
The pebbles are not uniform in size like fluval stratum or ada soil

I think there are better choices, but over all i am satisfied with eco complete.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
If you're going to get it, I would suggest getting it in locally so you can see it. I had two bags in a tank that looked nice with only the occasional orange/red piece. Then I bought a bunch online for a large tank and it looked... different. It was very fine and had a lot of color variation even though it was labeled the same. The overall effect was that it looked like dirt when you stood back from the tank. Some might like it, but I wasn't a fan.

|
|
|
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 05:25 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
just planted a 55 gallon tank with this. id say i put in around 25 jungle vals. just have to make sure there is a decent depth of substrate where youre planting just like any other substrate. i like it better than the fluval plant stratum im using at home.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have it and have used it for years, though I really dont like it. There are far beter substraights for the money. You will have an increass in your ph as this product will buffer up even though the company claims it is inert. Mine buffered for about a year before it finnaly stablized. If your not teying to keep discus or low ph fish or shrimp other then cherries you will be fine.

Curt
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have this and like it. I liked that I didn't have to rinse it (= Although it can be a pain to keep new plants with no roots in it. They don't like to stay in there but it can be done.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 04:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)
I have had good luck with it so far. I don't like the larger size of the pieces, but the plants I have growing in it are really thriving. I use root tabs and column ferts with it, and honestly, I think it's my most prolific tank, plant-wise. It is a complete PITA to keep it planted, though, if you're trying to place stem plants or the like. Once they root it's not a problem, though.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 05:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I use it, it works, probably not the best thing in the world but it gets the job done.
Do yourself a favor though, and buy more of the stuff than you think your tank is going to need, because you will surprise yourself when you are planting stems and feeling the bottom of the tank before you are satisfied with how deep you got the stem down.

Also, I definitely recommend root tabs and dosing. From what I have gathered, it seems that eco-complete has no nutrients of its own, but does a grand job of absorbing nutrients that you place into the tank, allowing plant roots to absorb them.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have it also. Looks ok, but terrible at holding plants in, especially ground cover plants. Probably won't use it again for this reason.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
my experience:

it does not have fertilizer added to it, it is simply high in CEC which is good but still not the best substrate out there, you can put your money on aqua soil for better results. with eco complete i had plant melting most of the time and increase in KH/GH all the time, i gave up and threw it outside in my yard, now it makes a good garden soil for my outdoor plants.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode