SafeTSorb and playsand...? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
SafeTSorb and playsand...?

First off I would like to say hi to everyone. I have a 75g tank I want to turn into a planted tank. I know next to nothing about plants but I want to give it a try. I also need to keep a tight grip on my budget of the wife will kill me... from what I have been reading on substrate I shoud be able to mix playsand and SafeTSorb or will it look "funny". Also would would be the most labor friendly way of adding nutrients to the tank. Thanks for the comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi claude3rd,

Welcome!

It may look OK for a while, but the sand being denser and having a smaller grain size than the Safe-T-Sorb (STS) will eventually sink to the bottom and pretty much all you will see is the STS.

Time to do some reading on lighting and fertilizers, the two key ingredients of a planted aquarium.

-Roy

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 01:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
check out the low tech forum for good tips and advice

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 01:36 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Try Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Mix as the bottom layer and top it with SafeTSorb
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Forget the sand.
Play sand does not work as well in aquariums as something like Pool Filter Sand, or sand blasting grit, and none of these will work with Safe-T-Sorb or any similar material.

The only way I can keep them apart is to make a retaining wall with expanding foam filler as mortar. Just using rocks without filling the spaces does not work.
I wanted to do a strip of sand in the front of a tank, and Soil Master Select in the back, deeper, behind some rocks. The sand slipped through the rocks and under the SMS. The SMS slipped through a over the rocks and ended up on top of the sand. I can look at the side of the tank and see the layers. Sand down there, a little blended band, then SMS on top.

Skip the sand, use pure STS.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I wanted to use sand because I plan to have some Rams in the tank and I've read they prefer sand... I also have about 50lbs left over from my 180g tank and I was planning on using it. Is anyone keeping Rams in a tank with just STS?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Rams bred while I had a rather fine gravel in there.

I do not see a problem with Rams in a tank with a material similar to STS. I have seen them in tanks with ADA substrates, Flourite and a few others.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok... I guess I will pick up some STS this wek end and start another project...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode