SICK of old Flourite!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
SICK of old Flourite!!!

Hey TPT!

I have had Flourite in my 55g for about 6+years, and I am sick of it! The color is not so bad, but it grows algae like MAD!!! It grows BBA constantly and since one of my Marimo Balls broke up it too is growing all over the crap!

I have tried lightly vacuuming it while doing water changes to remove excess ditrus to combat the algae, but it doesn't help!

So what I am thinking of doing is removing the top 1" or 2" of it, there is about 3.5-4" in the whole tank, and them capping it with Black Beauty or Pool filter sand. THEN when my 40B is up and going. I will put the fish in it and tear the tank down and dirt the 55g!

I know some of the Flourite will come threw the sand when I move plants around, but this will be a short term fix till my 40B is ready for fish. I am building the stand next week and I am waiting on a new impeller and ceramic shaft for my old Fluval 204 that is going to be going on the 40B too! All of that will be arriving by the time the stand is done and the tank will be ready to setup!

So what do Yall think? The main reason I am thinking of doing this is I am receiving a shipment of plants from Cris Ramos tomorrow, and I would rather not have them introduced to the algaed up Flourite and start them off on a bad foot!

OR should I just scrape off the top 1/2" that has all of the algae and put the plants back till my 40B is ready, and not mess with the sand?

By the way there is ONLY 6 Rummynoses, 5 Albino Corys, and 3 Ottos in the tank, and it has 2 Fluval 205s running on it. 1 for about 10 months and the other about 5 months.

THANKS for any help Yall can provide!
Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Another thing I just thought of is I have a 10g quarantine tank that has been running for years with a undergravel filter, and it has my 11 Golden Pencil fish in it, that I will be adding to the 55g after I dirt it and the water settles down.

So I guess I could add the 14 small fish that are in the 55g to it and put one of the 205s on it to, throttled down for sure, and just redo the 55g and the 40B at the same time!

Or I also have a few old 20g and a custom 26g oceanic that are not setup that I can setup with the filters from the 55g and put the fish and plants in it till the 55 is ready for fish after dirting it too! This might be the best thing, MAYBE???

thanks,
Drew

p.s. I have 2 55w pc fiwtures that I can put over the 20g or 26g tanks to keep the plants up and going, as well as a old co2 settup!

Last edited by BoxxerBoyDrew; 09-19-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: added ps
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would consider a fluval 204 way too small for a 40 breeder and if you are desperate to get the fish out of the 55 put them in their own 20.

I also wouldn't mix black beauty or other sand on top of the fluorite because then you'll never separate them, I'm sure someone local would give you some money for the fluorite when you are done with it or you could do a raok.

"Do not need anything to block the Seascapes."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
I have used flourite for the past 6 years and while I do think there is better substrates out there I can't get myself to spend the rididculous price on them when I can grow plants just fine in flourite. It's not the flourite that is causing your aglae problems. If you have algae problems now what makes you think that putting a different substrate in your tank will solve your algae problems. I would try to figure out the cause of your algae first and then go from there.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode