Substrate too light to work with! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Substrate too light to work with!

I regret having ever used Fluval Stratum substrate - well, too late now as my tank is cycled and populated.

The substrated is way too light to plant with - I don't understand how Fluval can put out a product that is so frustrating to work with.

I'm not sure what I can do - drain the tank and change substrate and start over? Remove half of it and top with a different substrate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use Flourite it's easy to plant in, I have caribean sand in one tank bit difficult to plant in but I was successful.

So a guy walks into a Pet Store

Guy: "I have Algae on my drift wood!"

Pet Clerk: "Take two Plecos and call me next week."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EHEIM Classic 2213
Check out my blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've used Stratum, Flourite, flourite black sand and Eco-complete. So far I love Eco complete hte best, and Stratum the worst....found it so difficult to keep plants down

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I use Eco complete as well. Pricey but I love how the water doesn't get cloudy when you rearrange plants.

----------------
Mark

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramen lover View Post
I use Eco complete as well. Pricey but I love how the water doesn't get cloudy when you rearrange plants.
+1 to this. Simply cut bag, dump, plant= no cloudiness....even when you have to rearrange them. How deep of a substrate do you have Ramen?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
It isn't that bad / tough to replace substrate is it?

I've got Fluval stratum, I'm just waiting to plant it.. Do all people feel this way?

From MABJ's iPhone
2G Fluval Spec ~ fauna and flora in the works!

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|
|
|
|
|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder --
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
The only time I've hard a hard time planting in fluval plant stratum was when I out in DHG. All I had to do was make them into smaller clumps and it's held. Just make sure your substrate level is at a decent depth; I'd say 1.5"-2" and it should hold it in place.

I just won't buy it again cause it turns into a powder eventually.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gafi View Post
+1 to this. Simply cut bag, dump, plant= no cloudiness....even when you have to rearrange them. How deep of a substrate do you have Ramen?
My substrate is at least 3" deep. Some parts are deeper. I bought 5 bags of Eco complete for my 55g.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----------------
Mark

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode