Dark, cheap substrate that's not Black Diamond blasting media? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dark, cheap substrate that's not Black Diamond blasting media?

I can't find the stuff anywhere in Washington and PFS is just too fine and allows for gas pockets way too easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Tahitian Moon Sand.

Look in the local rock yards for whatever gravel you might like, then test for GH, KH, pH or TDS problems.

Pebbletek makes a line of products that are added to the inside of swimming pools to make them different colors. The materials are mostly a very high density quartz, completely neutral and aquarium safe. Some of these include sea shells (do not use that series) Find these from swimming pool contractors.

There used to be a line of products for sports fields that had a very dark grey that almost looked black under water. Soil Master Select was one, but it is not being made any more. Turface is a similar material, but I do not know if there is a black or charcoal color. I do not even know if it is still on the market. However, check out stores that sell to contractors and maintenance people of sports fields, golf courses and irrigation wholesalers. These materials are lighter than sand, have high CEC, and usually remove the KH from the water.

Turface is still availalble, but the darkest is a medium reddish-brown, you would have to find some and look at it darkend (wet) to see if it is dark enough for you.

Eco Complete

Last edited by Diana; 09-15-2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Researched Turface
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
what zip code?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 12:41 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
What about crushed black lava rock?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That would be fantastic. Would it work as a good dirt cap?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
At least some farm supply stores sell blasting media, and there are other brands than Black Diamond, but still the same material. Is that area a big farming area?

Hoppy
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yea, it is. I'll have to check out a couple farm places then.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi shrimpedout,

Reprinted for GSAS 'airstone' (GSAS e-mail chat)

Quote:
Search for "Black Silicon Carbide"
Kevin of A Place for Pets is sourcing it locally.
-Paul
I would call first prior to making the trip to Burien to confirm it is in stock.

BTW, Waylon Pon, well know shrimp breeder from San Francisco is our next guest speaker at the next GSAS.org meeting.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well my search has been a complete failure. A few places and the closest I came was at harbor freight which didn't have the right stuff and what they did have was super expensive

---
Get shrimped out!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I wish petco sand wasn't so darn expensive. It's perfect.

---
Get shrimped out!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi shrimpedout,

Maybe this will help!
http://www.substratesource.com/index...=item&c=s&i=41

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

A swimming pool contractor may be able to get you a source for pebbletec product line.
here is one swimming pool contractor that came up when I googled your zip code.
http://www.iarbiz.com/IiXPz1nSbMk=

Here is Pebbletec:
http://www.pebbletec.com/products/pe...olor=jet-black

This is a quartz very fine gravel (almost a coarse sand) that is aquarium safe. Simply avoid the colors with sea shells in them.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi shrimpedout,

I contacted one of our GSAS members; this is the post he put up on 'airstone' in July of last year about crushed quartz available locally. He likes the #2/12 sand.

Good hunting!

-roy

Roy_________

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
After a bit of googling I came up with this, not too far away from your zip depending on where about you are in that area. I don't have a clue as to size of the grit, availability, or price but this place has the coal slag listed on their abrasive list. You might try and give them a call if you haven't already found something that you can work with.

http://unitedwesternsupply.net/abrasive-products

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode