Dirt Tank w/ sulfur bubbles, MTS beneficial? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)
Dirt Tank w/ sulfur bubbles, MTS beneficial?

I am getting sulfer smelling bubbles from my dirt substrate and I was wondering if Malaysian trumpet snails would be beneficial to keep my dirt aerated as well as getting the fish waste down to the dirt? Even though I have gravel I am getting these bubbles, and can MTS burrow into a kind of course gravel? My friend also has a dirt tank, but the waste sits on top of the sand. Would MTS get that fish poo off the surface and into the dirt?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Perhaps your soil is too deep?

MTS can plow through gravel just fine.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Algae Grower

i wouldn't worry about it to much my soil has been gassing for a month now and all my plants and fish are fine, and as the plants grow the roots form them will aerate the dirt

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Soil can gas for several reasons. Oxygen, CO2, H2S... If it smells bad, I would do something about it. Anaerobic activity so extreme that you can smell the sulfur is not good.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Nation

Thanks Diana, The soil is only a little over and inch deep with a one inch cap, so I don't think it is too deep, but I can smell a slight sulfur sometimes when I try to smell the bubbles so I think I will try to get some MTS in the WTB forum.

Will they get waste through the cap and to the dirt faster? Especially in a sand tank
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I do not have substrate-and-cap set ups. MTS plow through every substrate I have including pool filter sand, gravel (several sizes) peat moss, Soil Master Select, Coral sand, Safe-T-Sorb and Turface, Tahitian Moon Sand, 3-M Colorquartz. (Gosh I did not know I had so many substrates!)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchfish9 View Post
I am getting sulfer smelling bubbles from my dirt substrat....I have gravel I am getting these bubbles....My friend also has a dirt tank, but the waste sits on top of the sand. ....
Dirt will out-gas for 1-3months depending on how much organic materiel is in the dirt , the Cap "seal" and bacteria activity.

The sulfur smell is a bit concerning. If you read through the complete Sub-Forum here one thing tends to stand out with dirt tanks Gravel cap users post more troubles than sand cap users. I think the seal that sand provides is taken for granted, misunderstood, and under-rated. You don't see gravel alone over dirt in nature, nature works just fine. The closer we get are tanks to natural the better they do.

I have sand caps in my tanks fine waste or dirt Poofs from puling plants will settle back to there bottom over a few days and be gone. Large pcs take longer of course and they can be syphoned off or netted out.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
MTS only burrow as deep as there is oxygen in the substrate. So if the oxygen doesn't permeate the entire substrate depth, they won't clear out the bubbles if they are trapped.

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Dirt will out-gas for 1-3months depending on how much organic materiel is in the dirt , the Cap "seal" and bacteria activity.

The sulfur smell is a bit concerning. If you read through the complete Sub-Forum here one thing tends to stand out with dirt tanks Gravel cap users post more troubles than sand cap users. I think the seal that sand provides is taken for granted, misunderstood, and under-rated. You don't see gravel alone over dirt in nature, nature works just fine. The closer we get are tanks to natural the better they do.

I have sand caps in my tanks fine waste or dirt Poofs from puling plants will settle back to there bottom over a few days and be gone. Large pcs take longer of course and they can be syphoned off or netted out.
I wish I would of used sand, but I am not changing my tank again lol.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Nation

So would MTS benefit my tank? That is really my main question.

Thanks
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchfish9 View Post
So would MTS benefit my tank? That is really my main question.

Thanks
Yes

If you don't get any prior to the GCCA Swap, I'll bring you some. ***HOWEVER*** you need to meet us at the PARKING LOT SWAP
see the tread on the Ill. Forum and it's up to you to remind me by PM.
As I can honestly tell you I'll remember to bring anything I'm not selling.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode