Aquarium Gravel - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquarium Gravel

So, I have decided to go back to plain old aquarium gravel. :S

Right now I have play sand in my tank. It is horrible. No matter how much I wash it and rinse it I ALWAYS get dust settling on my plants and driftwood. It looks terrible.

Aquarium gravel and play sand are my only options here unless I want to pay an arm and a leg to ship something better. Unfortunately, it is not cheap to ship things that heavy and living where I do my only option is to get it shipped by transport truck. I can't afford that at all. (I think I was quoted something like $70 for shipping and that was only enough for my old 29 gallon. My tank now is 66 gallons.)

I am going to get black gravel. Is there anything I need to do to help my plants grow better? The first tank I set up about 2 years ago was just plain old black gravel like this and my plants grew very well. I put fertilizers under the gravel and plan to do that again. I just wanted to make sure that that is enough, since this tank is much bigger than my 10 gallon betta tank. (I will also be using fertilizers in the water column too)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 11:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)
Is Amazon Prime an option for Canada? You might want to check into that -- a membership is $72 a year and includes all kinds of perks.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have tried to figure out if I can get Amazon Prime in Canada but I can't seem to get anywhere on their site. As far as I can tell from google, I cannot get Prime in Canada. I would be nice though!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Fertilizer tablets under the gravel like you did before is a good suggestion.
If your light will be brighter than in the old set up you might need to add carbon.

Are there stores that sell gravel or sand in bulk? Around here landscapers buy truckloads of sands and gravel for many purposes. Perhaps that would offer you some other options?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, there are. I just googled it. One place is called City Sand and Gravel, and their ad specifies Landscape Stone. They are in or near St. Johns.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 01:21 AM
Algae Grower

Blasting grit! I have black blasting grit from tractor supply company and love it...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Blasting grit is a good idea. Several of the places that came up sounded more like concrete yards, but keep on looking.
Look for:
Rock, Gravel, Stone, Landscape, Brick, Masonry, and similar terms.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you for your help!

I am about 600 km from St. John's. DH will NEVER let me drive that far to get blasting grit! Haha!

I will check for places closer to me, but I am really not hopeful.

My light is definitely better than before. I am looking to do CO2 but I can't do pressurized since there is no where for me to fill the tanks. I am thinking of doing this
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Oh, OK. I have no idea where in Newfoundland you are, but that place does have the right wording.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I am close-ish to Gander, but pretty much in the middle between Corner Brook and Grand Falls-Windsor. If that helps at all!! Haha!

I go to Corner Brook a lot, since that is our hometown and we have family there. I tried a quick google search but I can only find places in St. John's. I am probably going there in the middle of November but that is too far off. I would like to re-do my tank before then. The joys of living in the middle of nowhere! Haha!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I also used to have family in Newfoundland, but I have no idea if any of them are still there, and I do not know the area at all.

Start perhaps by calling any place that sounds even remotely possible. Do not mention the word aquarium, or else the people usually will not be very helpful. Just say decorative rock, or something like that.

Around here all sorts of gravel is sold in bags and in bulk for landscaping. Maybe someone there has some idea where to get such material near you.

There is a place called Atlantic Ready Mix in Corner Brook. I do not think they have what you need, but I would call them and ask about decorative rock. There is another place called West Coast Sand and Gravel.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks SO much! I think that I am googled-impaired! Haha! I will give them a call.

Edited to add: West Coast Sand and Gravel doesn't sell anything like I would need. Atlantic Ready Mix only sells concrete and pre-made concrete products.

Last edited by mindy; 08-30-2012 at 02:04 PM. Reason: added more information
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

It sounds weird, but another good place to try would be irrigation or landscaping companies. A lot of them can get just about anything you'd like. I got my Turface through a local irrigation company. Farm suppliers might also be able to help. A lot of these places order from the same suppliers as other industries.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

There are two places I found right off the bat in Gander -- Central Crushing Ltd., phone number +1 (709) 651-2971 and Adams Aggregates 1986 Ltd., phone number 709-256-2128. They should both have a wide variety of stuff. They may only want to do wholesale, but I'd just tell them you're building a garden/play area for your kids or something. Soften them up so maybe they'll sell you a small amount. Sometimes places like that will also let you just fill your own bags/buckets from spill-over areas where they've been filling trucks. I used to get chicken grit this way.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks I will give them a call too. I don't have much hope, though

Gander is 300 km away so that still is quite the jaunt for gravel. Haha! I would probably pay nearly as much in gas as I would in shipping for flourite! Gas is 1.39/L now. :S

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode