Miracle Gro + Gravel + Cup + Bare Bottom Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Miracle Gro + Gravel + Cup + Bare Bottom Tank

Ok so I am a newbie when it comes to plants in the tank but I have an idea. I use bare bottoms on most of my tanks but have some rooting plants that will be coming in soon. The plan is to keep the bare bottom tanks but still plant the plants. I am planing on taking a small water bottle and cutting the top off then doing the Miracle Gro and gravel in a cup with the plants. I think that I will get the Miracle Gro wet first put the plant in or maybe a little layer of gravel first not sure.? Then put gravel carefully around the plant. I am not sure if I should put any holes in the side where the gravel would be to get the water flowing through or not? Or how much to use of the soil and gravel? Any suggestions or thoughts?!

Thanks All!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 11:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Potted Tanks w/ Miracle Gro

Hello Blue...

Small plastic pots will work well for the aquatic plants. I use the pots with Organic Miracle Gro and standard aquarium pea gravel in my planted tanks, so it's easy to move the plants around or stack them to take advantage of the lighting. (See attached pic).

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."

Last edited by BBradbury; 11-11-2012 at 06:41 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you BBradbury

I thought it would work just glad to see that it dose work. Your tank looks very nice and so dose your plants there big too. Just hoping that I can get mine to look that nice too.

Blueangel

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
I would only add that vented planting pots that incorporate holes for drainage seem to do much better for those that do this. Using cut water bottles, drink glasses, bowls and things of that nature don't provide for the slow water circulation needed to avoid fully anaerobic problems (black, smelly, rotten soil).

Use planting pots that have holes in the bottom or drill holes in the plastic.
Layer the material into the pots and enjoy as many do this to good results.

Pots are supposed to be easy. so easy (imo) is
a) (easiest) Just anchor the plant by filling the pot with river gravel.

b) (better) Using root tablets and finer frag with replacement of the single fert tablet every 3 months.

c) <*Best*> Soil layer MGOCPM The potting mix is labeled as 0.10 - 0.05 - 0.05 so the ratio is low but again fairly balanced. Place a layer of gravel or frag to both top and bottom. Hold the nutrient section (dirt) to 2" or less. Shim the bottom of the pot up off the tank floor so the hole isn't completely blocked. Drop it in the tank and forget about feeding the plant for a very long time.

Fertilizer tablet options range in cost with labeled aquarium brands averaging 10/$7.
Osmocote sphere type options are cheaper.
Jobes plant food spikes (palm variety) can be cut up with a safety razor into 1/4" size lengths and many a great review has been posted on the results.

HTH

edt!! welcome to the forum Blueangel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I found the small bathroom cups very handy and space efficient when I used them in a 20 gallon plant/fish growout tank. Yard dirt, ferts and gravel worked fine until the fish got large enough to start snacking!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you wkndracer,

I will be putting in some drainage holes in the bottom then. I also think that I will be going with the MG cause it like you said is the easiest way to do it.

Thanks PlantedRich,

I wont use the cups yet but i will be keeping them in mind when i run out of the water bottles. I just figure its better to reuse the water bottles then through them in trash to go to a land fill some where.

thanks Blueangel.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode