Sand from outside - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sand from outside

My brother is visiting my mom in the High Desert for a few days so I was wondering if the sand from up there could be used in a aquarium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
ah, you never know what your getting when you go out and scoop it up.

to be on the safe side, i would just pay a couple bucks for some PFS and be done with it

just my opinion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
I'm sure it's fine, just test some in a bucket overnight, measure the TDS and pH after... unless it was used as a nuclear test site

current:

| retired:

|

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
I agree, just rinse it well and make sure it does not alter the ph or add a lot of tds which would indicate something other than sand being present.

You can also use play sand from the hardware store at about $4 for 50 pounds. Pool filter sand is another option that is clean and inexpensive.

I live near the beach and have used a thin layer on an otherwise bare bottom community tank and it acts as my ph buffer since it is partially made up of tiny pieces of shell.

Rod
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ditto: Test some with GH, KH, pH kits and TDS meter.

Then test with some fish (not the really expensive breeders)

Sometimes sand will have more heavy metals than is good.

Pool filter sand is a good option.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks, I tried to get the Pool Filter Sand but I can't find it anywhere. I had play sand but did not really like it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
With PFS, Playsand, Blasting grit all we really can count on it that it was screened to a specific uniform size. None of them that we commonly use is rated by the FDA as Potable water source approved filter media. So we don't have any clue as to heavy metals or and other non-desireable contaminate in those anymore than this high desert sand in question. I haven't read about anyone testing Play Sand or PFS.

OP - I suggest use a little common sense as to the collection point i.e.. not near a highway, truck stop, uranium mine, landfill etc. Screen out the scorpions, rinses it good and put it in the tank. Start with a few snails. Then a single healthily fish, if all is good after a wk. add another fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode