Rooted Plants required? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rooted Plants required?

For a substrate consisting of soil and sad, are rooted plants required to prevet the substrate from becommig toxic? I wanted to plant a lot of moss ad Anubias but I dont know how that would do in a tank with soil as substrate or if they even benefit from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
there's not any point in using a substrate with nuttrients in (dirt, eco complete, aquasoil) if you're going to use plants like that. neither use roots to absorb nutrients.

also it's not really worth the headache of using soil unless you plan on using heavy root feeding plants like swords and crypts. Soil tends to be dirty and yes there may be toxicity at some point like ammonia or hydrogen sulfide gas being released.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Anubias will send down roots and feed from the sub but it takes months to establish and do this. I would not dirt a tank for the plants you have listed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That was pretty much my assumption. Thank you folks for the response.

What type of plants should I consider for a soil substrate? I mean, are there any low to medium light requiring plants that root? Id like to get a list going on several easy to start with ones
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
There are tons of different shapes and colors of crypts. Hairgrass is also a good option

My 65g jungle October rain
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I've got hairgrass, HC, cardinal plant, and wisteria in my dirted tank. I feel like water column feeders are nice to have in a dirted tank but are only there to supplement the removal of nutrients that the root feeders do not make use of.

Crypts and swords get pretty nice roots, as do most of the hygro species. Red Tiger Lotus also makes roots like mad.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

if you purchase the POTTED dwarf hairgrass are you able to seperate it and plant it throughout the tank or is everything grown together?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What I do, and have seen done by others better at this than me, is to cut down the leafs, cut down the roots, separate out the bunch and carefully plant each little node individually.

It is easier to do this when the tank is not filled with water, and it allows for the plant to spread out and grow more. The only downside to this is that IT TAKES FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Especially if you have 3 puts of it...you will want to rip your hair out by the time you are done. It is worth it though to get the effect you want.

Mom's Spec V:
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJHk6...hannel&list=UL
useful videos for the win

Mom's Spec V:
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the help Hybrid and chad, seriously, im definately going with some crypts and quite a bit of hairgrass if my 2 t8's at 32watts will allow for it in my 55g.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode