Mirical Gro Oranic choice GARDEN SOIL - Problems? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mirical Gro Oranic choice GARDEN SOIL - Problems?

I mistakenly bought Garden SOIL instead of potting mix.

What problems could I have using this as my substrate? I wanted to add some clay mixed into the soil topped off with gravel and sand.. What problems would using the Soil be as opposed to the potting Mix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)
It has cow manure and other things that are not so good for your tank.

The mix is what most people use with no problems. So I don't know if you wanna risk it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Me either, it wouldn't be such a pain if the mix wasnt so hard to find around here. I understand the manure is a problem, but is it possible to sift out any undesirables?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)
Honestly, I'm not sure. I don't know if you can sift out stuff like manure, and the ammonia would probably still be a problem. I have no first hand experience on the garden soil though. So hopefully someone else can chime in.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use the garden soil, my tank has only been up for a few weeks but there are no issues, it has a similar make up to the potting soil. I've read about others using it without issue.
Eta no ammonia issues so far, I've been testing the water every day.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchfish9 View Post
It has cow manure and other things that are not so good for your tank.

The mix is what most people use with no problems. So I don't know if you wanna risk it.
All it has in it of concern is the cow manure.
I would have to take some time and find it but one of my friends made the same error on soil type. The ammonia spike lasted about three water changes and things calmed down. It's in his journal but months and months ago so finding the entries will take some looking.

HTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
just plant heavily from the get go, test your water to keep an eye on parameters and keep up with water changes. Should be fine.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Mix is preferable, but soil works well too. Plant heavily and keep a good eye on everything. I am using something else for my dirted tank because I couldn't find miracle grow but I found another company that made organic potting mix so I figured why not.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode