Deciding on substrate for a 55g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Deciding on substrate for a 55g

Well like the title says I'm deciding on what substrate to use. Right now I have all my tanks (110 and 3 10g) with black eco-complete which I'm thinking of going that way again with this 55?

Would 3-4 bags work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I love the fluorite. Works great. Looks great too.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ok thanks

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
I use eco complete in all my tanks and continue to love it. I'd probably use 5-6 bags, but I like a good 3" substrate. I used 6 bags in my 75g, and I'm not happy with the depth. I used 8 bags in my 90g (same footprint), and it's much better.

So you could probably do okay with 4 bags, but I'd say get 6 bags to get a better depth for the plant roots.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 01:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Since Eco complete can be a bit pricey for so many bags, I used the organic miracle grow as my base layer, and then capped it with a few bags of the Eco complete. Saves a bit of $$ as well as helps to provide those essential ferts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 05:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184631

Eco is not too bad if you order from Petco when they sell for 17-18 bucks. Usually its free after you buy so many. I only use Flourite currently. Although I will be experimenting with others when I finally get my new tanks going. Look thru the above link I provide to get some other options.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Algae Grower

Similar but different :)

This is a timely post, since I am wanting to "cap" my eco-complete with black sand. I will be adding either dwarf chain loaches or peppered corys and they need a fine substrate to dig in. So my question is how much sand do I cap it with? And is this even a good idea??

Thanks so much for any replies

Nanci Byers
Ogden, UT

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
SAF T SORB $4.99 -40 lb bag.....tractor supply co...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184631

Eco is not too bad if you order from Petco when they sell for 17-18 bucks. Usually its free after you buy so many. I only use Flourite currently. Although I will be experimenting with others when I finally get my new tanks going. Look thru the above link I provide to get some other options.
How often do they have a sale like this?

OK, so it seems that they have the sale right now. That Fish Place is selling it for $41: http://www.thatpetplace.com/eco-comp...utm_medium=cpc and Petco is selling it for $18: http://www.petco.com/product/111998/...escription-tab. Is it the same stuff?

Thanks!

Last edited by puntific; 08-14-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: added more info
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
i bought my eco-complete at the actual store (PetCo) for about $21 a bag. bought 4 bags worth. gave me about 3 inches of substrate for my 55g.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
honestly, if you aren't planning on change the tank around too much and if your tank is not already set up, I feel like the best substrate is to go the dirted route, either just a regular dirted method or mineralized top soil if you want to get all fancy, and then cap it with some sort of sand.
I like my eco complete, but after having tried dirt with sand, I feel like it might be superior (although, this feeling may change over time)

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 08:25 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by puntific View Post
How often do they have a sale like this?
Petco has had Eco Complete for $15-$18 for several months now. If you buy enough to get the free shipping, it's an outstanding deal. I bought over 20 bags and loved having it delivered straight to my door (didn't have to haul it around!).

I've kept an eye on their prices, and they've kept it at the $18 rate for the last couple of months. It seems to be their regular price for now.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)
In my opinion, you should go dirted. It works great and its cheap and easy.

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbuilder View Post
In my opinion, you should go dirted. It works great and its cheap and easy.
What is the dirted method?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
basically, you take organic potting mix (not soil, mix) and add enough to make about 2-3 inches deep for your substrate, then add about 1-2 inches of sand to cap the dirt (or gravel but I like sand more tbh), add your plants, and carefully add water so as to not disturb the substrate bed
there is also mineralized top soil (mts) but I don't know enough about it to comment on it.
I do know that Amazonia is a great substrate choice as well, but its pricey. Aside from that, the only downside to dirt is that you can't dirt a tank without it being dry first and you can't really re-scape a dirted tank without making a mess

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode